Last night, I was at a baking class conducted in a home. This is my first time attending class in such an environment. As I have astigmatisms, the dim light didn't help at all. It was a warm night, I was literally perspiring the whole session and I should have remembered to bring my bottle of water up.
I like the class size of 4. It makes it cosy and my classmates were nice to help me with notes that sometime were spoken in a different language. Also I love the Red Ruby dessert that was served and that reminds me that I should make a batch to enjoy in such warm weather.
While waiting for the cake to baked, the teacher asked for my age. I was thrown off when she said I am fifty!
For up to now, this is the first time someone over guessed my age. I didn't feel offended at all but rather sad. The stress of parenthood had definitely taken a toll on me and I think I really needed to do something about this.
When I relate this incident to hubby over bedtime, he was laughing so hard.
I have been eyeing on Frozen Wing's Whole grain loaf for days. I knew I had to bake this, for I love multi grain loaf!
I had a hard time locating all the ingredients though. In fact, I went to four supermarkets and yet I can’t complete the list!
This is my first using wholemeal flour to make bread and I didn't know what to expect when the recipe said to beat till smooth and elastic. After 15 mins, I decided that I should give the machine a break before I blow the motor again.
Left the dough to proof while I went to pick up my daughter and I was glad that it did rise after we came home. I didn't divide into 4 as I feel the dough is rather small. Initially I was happy to find out that it fits into my small pull man tin and was hoping that it will fill up the tin and I will get a square loaf but unfortunately, there isn't much rise during the second proofing (so I might have not done this dough properly).
All is not lost as the bread turned out lovely!
I couldn’t resist slicing a slice off and slapping on some butter. Nothing beats a good piece of wholesome goodness before Pilates class!
What you need:
200g wholemeal flour
50g bread flour
2 tbsps sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1½ tbsp rolled oats
1 tbsp flaxseed
½ tbsp spelt flakes (I have problem finding this)
½ tbsp toasted wheatgerm
water 170gm
cold butter 15gm
some sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, instant oats for sprinkling on top
Method:
Put all of the above ingredients except water and butter into your mixing bowl , use a fork to give them a good mix. Using dough hook on electric mixer, pour in water little by little till a dough is formed. Keep on beating for another 5 minutes, add in butter and continue beating for another 15 minutes till dough is smooth.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface, shape into a ball and let proof till double its size.
Divide dough into 3 equal portions, shape them into round again and let rest for another 10 minutes.
Shape each roll into a rectangle and roll it back like a swiss roll, do the same for the rest of the 2 rolls and let them proof in a greased baking tin (23cmx11cmx11cm baking tin) for another 45 minutes .
Bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC for about 30 minutes
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

50 ?! huh ! ;D You said its a tad dark inside that room and maybe she needs to use her eyeglasses ? hahaha I've seen Lena's awesome bread and yours looks just as lovely ;) I've yet to try baking bread tsk :P ;D
ReplyDeleteHi Edith,
ReplyDeleteTime to de-stress and go for monthly hair trim, mani & pedi, facials, etc.
Regards,
Sally
You definitely don't look 50.
ReplyDeleteI have shortlisted this recipe but yet to try it out since my bread machine died on me and it is really time consuming to hand-knead. Still on KIV mode.
sometimes it's the stress that adds on ages to our face...or perhaps that lady who commented needs a pair of glasses! but it's always nice to have a break and pamper ourselves and relax our minds. thanks for the mention, spelt flakes is not easily available here, i've only seen it once selling at a shop here and they are not carrying this flakes at the moment, probably low demand..othewise i will get you some. They mainly look like rolled oats and darker in colour. normally i beat my dough till smooth to touch and the dough dont get easily torn apart when we stretch it but i seldom beat it till window pane stage although i know it's possible. Thanks for linking back.
ReplyDeleteAnne, try it coz even my son likes it.
ReplyDeleteSally, that is what I have been doing lately. Dolling myself up but unfortunately, I still can't hide. hahaha
Blessed Homemaker, thanks dear. YOu are too kind. We haven't been catching up for a long time. When H comes home this June, we will arrange a gathering at my place.
Lena, even my son who is now such a fussy eater loves it. We ate it with a dollop of good butter and it is soooo yummy.