Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Last day of the month

Time really flies. I just realised that today is the last day of November.

Frankly speaking, to me, this year passes by really quickly. Perhaps my days were so jammed pack that I have no time to get bored.

For the last two years, I didn't have a chance to bake my favourite Hampton Fruit Cake.

I can't recall what I'd done for the year before last (that is how bad my memory is right now) but last year we were away so we didn't spent Christmas in town.

This year, I promised V that I will bake her one. Just good timing for me to "nuture" my fruitcake with loving tender care before I present that to her.

I turned some to cupcakes with the remaining batter.

Photobucket

Another recipe I wanted to try was Hazelnut & Chocolate Cupcakes. A new book I acquired during the book fair. The reason I chose this was because my kids, especially my son, loves Nutella.

Photobucket

This turned out to be a nice and fluffy cake. The method is also very fuss free. I should have divided the batter equally into 12 as stated in the book. This batter actually rises quite high and looks out of shape as I made only 9 pieces.

Verdict: It goes really well with the frosting.

Photobucket

Will definitely explore more recipes from this book.

Hampton Fruit Cake
What you need:


Soak overnight in 50ml of rum:

200g raisins
200g currants
150g mixed peel
50g glaced cherries

Melt:

250g butter
250g sugar
Mixed in 4 eggs, one at a time when butter is slightly cool.

Sift together

350g sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/4 tsp each of ground cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, clove, nutmeg and ginger

50g nuts
grated skin of one lemon
grated skin of one orange

Method

Add flour to butter mixture, a little at a time. Mix well.

Add fruit mixture to the batter. Add in your favourite nuts and grated skin of lemon and orange.

Bake for 1.5 hours at 150°C.

Note: Generously brush cognac or brandy over the cake for the next three days.

************************
Hazelnut and Chocolate Cupcake

Source: The Hummingbird Bakery

What you need:

100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g castor sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g butter
120ml milk
1 egg
120g nutella

Method:

Preheat oven to 170 degree. Greased muffin tray.

Add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a mixer. Beat with a paddle attachment till sandy crumbs.

Add in milk and beat to incorporate.

Add in egg and further beat till smooth.

Divide batter equally into 12 muffin cups.

Bake for 20 mins or till cooked.

Cool on rack and frost.

Then cut out a small section in the centre of each cupcake and fill with a dollop of nutella.

Frosting:

100g Butter
50g icing sugar
10ml milk or more depending on consistency preferred
30g nutella
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Oh, the cupcakes looked great! You've already tried the recipe from The Hummingbird! How do you find the book? I've yet to try, but very tempted to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the fruit cake! Gonna try it since my dad loves fruit cakes. :) Thanks Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your cupcakes look wonderful! I have seen a few of Hummingbird recipes on bloggerland, need to take a look at the book! Have a lovely day, Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Can i check with you after soaking the dried fruits in 50ml rum, do you add in the rum too?

    TIA
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    This is Lyn here a silent reader in your blog but has been following and learning to bake with your recipe.

    For this fruit cake recipe, do you add in the rum after soaking the dried fruit in rum overnite?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Passionate About Baking, this is my first recipe. Am thinking of trying more later on.


    Honey Bee Sweets , you are welcome.

    kitchen flavours, I will check out the rest of the recipe. Must be good.

    Hi Lyn, I have added a note to this recipe. The rum is actually for soaking the fruits. After the cake is baked, you need to brush or drizzle cognac or brandy over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red & green cherries made the cupcakes very festive-looking! I'm now thinking whether I should be baking these for my colleagues as x-mas gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quizzine, yes a very festive right. I am packing these as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith, u mentioned 120g nutella in yr cupcake recipe, but this ingredient is missing in the method steps. When do i add in the nutella? Tks for sharing the recipe, i look forward to trying it out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops sorry, it shld be after you cooled the cupcake, cut off the top diagonally and spoon in the nutella, cover back and pipe the cream over it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin