Sunday, June 05, 2011

Left over

I wonder how many of you out there especially those who bake, always having to throw left over baking ingredients away.

Having baking as passion, sometime can lead to wastage. Attempt to try new recipes always ended up with left over of whipping cream, sour cream, yoghurt and blah blah blah. The list is pretty endless. I am not sure how you feel, but to me, it is a heart pain throwing them away.

Then again, the mood to continue to try another recipe by using up the left over might not be there. Happy baker equate to successful bakes. For me, I always wait for the mojo to come before I bake.

Anyway, remember I made buckwheat pancakes some time back? Well since my last attempt on the buckwheat pancake. Though it was a nice experience but that was not my kids' type of pancake that they will fancy having it again. Thus I have nearly a full bag of buckwheat in the pantry, not knowing what else I can do with it that the taste will not be apparent to my kids.

Initially we wanted to go on a cycling trip but with the downpour this morning, the plan was shelved thus I ended up chatting with DP this morning, my classmate who is also a good baker. Besides making soba noodle with it, I told her that I really wonder what else I can do with it and she quickly forwarded me a link and I wasted no time in making these as tonight, I am meeting my girl's godma, E for dinner and I would love to give her something that she can bring home to.

It will be her last time to Singapore. After that, God knows when will I see her again as she is uprooting with her family from Jakarta to Toronto.

So thanks to D, I went about it almost immediately.

Photobucket

The texture Buckwheat Butter Cookie with chocolate chip is crunchy. It has a lovely nutty taste to it. I knew I brought some cocoa nibs but I just couldn’t locate them! (these are the moments I wish my helper will not touch my stuff). She always ended up re arranging my stuff and she can’t remember where and I can’t find it. Arrrgghh!

By adding in the chocolate chip, I am so glad that the kids didn't even realise that it was buckwheat. So kind of blessing in disguise isn’t it?

This recipe is definitely a keeper as a healthy choice cookie.

Source: Alice Medrich’s Pure Dessert

What you need:

Photobucket

1 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¾ cup buckwheat flour
½ lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 cup cocoa nibs
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with the sugar and salt until smooth and creamy but not fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the nibs and vanilla, and beat to incorporate, scraping down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the flours all at once, and beat on low speed until just incorporated. The mixture will seem very dry and pebbly at first, but keep beating, and it will slowly moisten and darken (as the buckwheat flour is absorbed) and come together. You’ll know it’s ready when it pulls away from the side of the bowl. The dough will be very thick.

Form the dough into a long (12” or 13”) log about 2 inches in diameter. Because the dough is so thick, I find it easiest to do this by pinching off hunks of dough from the bowl and lining them up on a large sheet of plastic wrap to form a log, then massaging and pressing them together to seal. Wrap well and refrigerate at least two hours, or overnight.

If you have refrigerated the dough overnight, remove it from the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours before you want to bake the cookies. (It’s a dense, rich dough, and once it’s very cold, it takes a little while to soften enough to slice without shattering.) Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. i've not tried buckwheat bakes before. this sure look healthy, crunchy and delicious! (: love crunchy cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, I think this is definitely a cookie recipe that I want to bake too! I too have a new packet of buckwheat flour sitting in my pantry. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks really crunchy and delicious! definitely reaching out for this recipe when i have extra buckwheat to spare :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sweetylicious, my friends said it is crunchy all the way.

    Honey Bee Sweets, do try it. The texture is also like Almond Macau cookies. Strangely, my son didn't like the buckwheat pancake but he alone ate up nearly the whole batch.

    MeRy and Jean, give it a try if you have buckwheat at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith,

    I never throw leftovers away, in fact I find ways to use it up asap. Leftover whipping cream gets dribbled in carbonara and marinara pasta and I use leftover sour cream to smear on tortillas when I do Mexican cooking, or try sour cream in stroganoffs.

    Yoghurts get mixed with milk and rolled oats to make Bircher Muesli for breakfast. They last a good few days and chopped fresh fruits are all you need to top it off.

    If the kids do not like them, make them eat it. I remember when I was growing up, I do not get much choice of food ad chances to be picky when I am fed with healthy food.

    My nana always say kids are what they are now because parents let them be. Boy I miss my nan now! Please don't get me wrong, I do not mean to say you spoil your children, I just got a little bit too excited when I talk about my grandmother.

    Nice healthy buckwheat butter cookies by the way!

    p/s: Have you gotten the cake stand???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quinn tks for sharing the tips. I already asked my friend to look out for it. Might hv to wait till next yr when she come here for visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin