Monday, February 01, 2010

A can of cola?

I am not a soft drink lover.

In fact, we hardly drink them at home and I strongly discourage my kids but somehow I guess, there are certain things that are out of my control especially when it is so readily available in the school canteen.

I wish school principals ban such drinks and offer juices instead. Won't it be great? Don't get me wrong, I am not that PERFECT. I can't deny that there are days whereby I would love to have a fizzy drink just to quench thirst especially on a busy and humid day. Thus I would store some soda water or carbonated water and mixed it with Ribena or juices. That will quench my thirst and not overly worried about the high sugar content. Of course, there will be a day or two that I will reward our self with a can of Coca Cola.

Anyway, one of my long awaited cakes to bake was a Coca Cola cake. I am intrigued when a recipe called for unusual ingredient.

Whoever invented such recipes are to me geniuses.

Gotten hold of Coke Zero which makes me feel less guilty? Was it physiological, I somehow feel that Coke Zero is not as sweet as the regular Coke. I didn't have much luck with this cake.

First I over melt the butter! Ouch, a block of butter went down the bin especially now that butter prices have gone up.

Done a second batch, but I overlooked the cola to be incorporated with the butter. Darn mistake no 2.

As I really can't bear to throw a second batch of butter, I decided to just continue with the process and pray for the best.

The batter was runny and definitely don't look promising. Since I am already at this stage, I have nothing to lose.

I was delighted when it started to rise. At least it looks like a cake. Phew.... waited and waited and waited..... not cooking too well in the centre..... prolonged baking time ... finally the cake was ready to be out of the oven.

Oops .... it shrank and it looks like a honeycomb cake with the tunnelling effect. What the heck, we will just eat it plain with the frosting.

Actually despite its looks, the cake wasn't bad at all. In fact, it is really moist and soft. No hint of the cola at all and I love it that it is not overly sweet.

I will definitely give this Chocolate Coca Cola Cake another go.

Photobucket

Adapted from Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking.

What you need:

250g self raising flour
3 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
280g golden castor sugar
200g unsalted butter
1 cup of Coca cola
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degree. Grease and line a 9" cake pan.

Sift flour, cocoa and baking soda into a bowl.

Stir in castor sugar.

Melt butter and coca cola in a pan over low heat.

Add butter mixture into flour mixture and follow by milk, eggs and vanilla. Stirring all the time.

Once thoroughly blended. Gently pour into the cake pan and bake for 40 mins till cake is cooked.

Leave in tin for 10 mins before removing the tin. (oops, I must remember this point to cool the cake well in the tin before removing)

Cool on rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. Cool! Cola cake. :) I have seen root beer cake before but not cola. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!! The texture, the colour and the overall outlook of this cake look great!!!!... And use coke to bake... em.. indeed must give it a try.... can check with you what is Golden Castor Sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dear, next time dont throw away over melted butter - cook it longer then u get ghee, can make sugi biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HBS and CP, try it. It is nice. Just remember to read the instruction properly and don't be like me so muddle headed.

    CP, it is castor sugar but instead of white it is light yellowish. Can find in CS.

    Tina!!! thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours look more interesting than mine, maybe I should give it another try with your recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!!! The texture, the colour and the overall outlook of this cake look great!!!!... And use coke to bake... em.. indeed must give it a try.... can check with you what is Golden Castor Sugar?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin