Thursday, July 13, 2006

A big blunder

Though my hubby has got a sweet tooth as he love ice cream and chocolate but for other snacks, he also love them salty like nuts.

As for Tau Sar Piah (mung bean pastry), I noticed that he always eat the salty ones first. I live near a street whereby they had at least 4 shops that sells Tau Sar Piah and our favourite one will be just at the corner.

Anyway, I had been holding on this recipe for a long time (thanks tthksy for sharing this wonderful recipe and Florence for adding some pointers).

If you noticed, I am not very adventurous in trying out Asian desserts or pastries. Too many failures and am too proud to take disappointments I guess. Went about preparing the tau sar (mung bean).

Intended to just bake half the portion of the recipe. My kids were playing just outside the kitchen, screaming and laughing away. I got distracted by the noise and instead of seasoning the mung bean with half the portion. I did a full portion. Darn, no wonder it was so wet when I was frying it.

No choice, got to soak the other half packet of mung bean and wait till the next day to steam as it was getting late. The next day, I was stuck in the school and couldn't accomplished my project.

I was dead beat by nightfall. So today it is a must to complete little experiment. Tada... my Tau Sar Piah with homemade mung bean fillings.

I am proud of myself. *grin*

Photobucket

What you need:
Dough A

115g flour
58g oil

Dough B

230g flour
110g oil
90g water
1/2 tsp vinegar

Filling

90g oil
10 shallots - thinly sliced
150g sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp white pepper
300g mung beans (soaked for 2 hours, steamed and mashed)

Method

Add sugar, salt and white pepper to the mashed beans.

Heat oil, fry the shoots till brown and fragrant

Pour in the bean mixture.

Fry till mixture become dry and able to form into a ball.

Divide filling to 16g ball size.

Mix A, (rest dough for 30 mins, sealed) divide into 4g ball size

Mix B, (rest dough for 30 mins, sealed) divide into 12g ball size

Wrap B around A, flatten it and roll it up. Repeat again.

Flatten and wrap the filling in it

Brush with egg, top with sesame seeds.

Bake for 180 degree celcius for 20 mins till golden brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

26 comments:

  1. Edith, u've done well again! Glad to have u as my blog pal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... edith, can u pls share the recipe with us? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, your TSP is so inviting, great pic, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, your TSP is so inviting, great pic, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Edith! So pretty your tau sar piah and I know it's delicious! *I want, I want*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edith! I've been reading your blog for a while, and also met you over at Jo's. I started my own blog and was hoping I could add you to my link?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so cute & yummy..I've yet to try making these, would love to do it when I have more time on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone, you guys have been a great motivator for me.

    Diddy, sure you can link mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith,

    I tot of making this...but can i just check with you.. the oil from the ingredient list is which type of oil? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I luv ur blog as it gives lotsa ideas. I am currently staying in australia and i tried ur tar sar piah recipe yesterday. Success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Bernice for dropping by. Please feel free to comment. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, i would love to try this recipe. But can i check, what type of flour do i use for the dough. Also, mung bean is what type of bean? Is it the same as the one use for Tau Suan?

    New baker

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for dropping by New Baker.

    Mung Bean is green bean without the skin. Yes it is the same as Tau Suan.

    As for the flour, I used plain flour.

    Do try it out and let me know whether you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much for your kind reply. I'll definitely give it a try. Will let u know the outcome when i complete.

    new baker

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I completed trying out. It's a success - very delicious! The fillings tastes just nice. However, i reduced the amount of oil used for the pastry as while mixing, i found the dough too wet. Overall, this is a very great recipe. Just to share with you my bake result.


    Click here for my bake result.


    New Baker

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow New Baker, very beautifully done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just tried your recipe. It's great! I'm now jumping for joy with dau sar biah in one hand in UK. Thank you so much! Gotta show my mum in SG.

    -Shan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi!I tried your recipe for TSP but the pastry turned out too soft to handle. Should I reduce the oil? How would I know the correct consistency? Also, I can't view your pics. =(

    ReplyDelete
  19. It shouldn't be too soft to handle. Did you exceed the oil required? I have reinstate the picture as I am having some "spring cleaning" on my hard disk.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!I tried your recipe for TSP but the pastry turned out too soft to handle. Should I reduce the oil? How would I know the correct consistency? Also, I can't view your pics. =(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Bernice for dropping by. Please feel free to comment. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I luv ur blog as it gives lotsa ideas. I am currently staying in australia and i tried ur tar sar piah recipe yesterday. Success.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Edith, your TSP is so inviting, great pic, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin