Saturday, October 08, 2011

Time

We are now doing our countdown to this final year examination. Throughout this revision period, I am happy to see that my son started to put in more effort in his revision.

Looking at him study, it reminded so much of my late cousin R (he died just before he turned 25 of colon cancer). I remembered R was staying with us for a short period. I was amazed that he doesn't have to put in as much effort as any other kids when it comes to study. He just merely flipped through the textbook pages and he was able to score great results.

Unfortunately for him, his life was shortened. The news came to us with great blows. I remembered my dad still make a comment that they should not play such nasty jokes but the truth we can't denied. He didn't suffer much as he was already in his fourth stage when he was diagnosed.

From a healthy young man, I witnessed him went through chemotherapy and that literally suck him dry to end up like an old man. He found God during his last stage on earth and fought with such courage. He passed on with tranquil peace.

We used to play together often and I am very close to my aunt. I know that he will be heaven as he got a very kind heart and looking at my son, is just like looking at R.

Up to now, after 10 odd years, you are still very much missed.

Well, these are moments that something hits me ... and makes me treasure loved ones around me more.

Okay, let's talk about my kitchen adventure. I told my helper that this month theme is kueh kueh. She was suggesting that we make something that comes from her kampong.

Photobucket

I really like this Mendut as it remind me of mochi. As we didn't have unhusked green bean, we cooked usual green bean into paste.

Photobucket

Overall, a nice snack.

I am pleased to submit this post to this month's AB event, Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

What you need:

200g gluntinous rice flour
2 tbsp rice flour
4 tbsp tapioca flour
100g coconut milk
4 pandan leaves
1/2 tsp salt
Banana leaves

Fillings

Green bean paste

Method

Simmer coconut milk with pandan leaves till fragrant. Set aside to cool.

Mix flours and salt with coconut milk to form a dough.

Wrapped dough with green bean paste. Form a ball and using banana leaves encased it and steam for 10 mins.

Serve hot or cool.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Edith! this is one famous street food here too. I like your green beans filling. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks tasty, i have never seen such kueh or taste any like that. Pardon me for being mountain tortise. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin