Tuesday, October 04, 2011

A new friendship

A last minute decision to attend an ice cream workshop was well rewarded with a new friendship. Really had to thank my hubby for being able to baby sit the kids on that weekend.

I wasn’t seated near LT during the class but after class, as the teacher was selling some chocolate on promotion. L agreed to share her purchase with me as it was the last packet.

As we were departing, she invited me to bake along with her some day. Things just go on so naturally after. She helped me to purchase some yuzu juice and I, for coral jelly and things just started rolling from there.

Since I have completed my toppers for tomorrow’s cupcake order, I readily agreed to have a bake along session with her today.

I ask L whether she will be interested to test out Lana Esque Chocolate Cake that DP shared with me. Unfortunately due to a blunder, I forwarded and printed the wrong recipe. Also there isn't any sugar indicated on that recipe. Luckily all is not lost when I phone DP to clarify.

Photobucket

The cake turned out cottony soft but we didn’t have enough time to frost it. She was really kind to give me half the cake. So I came home to complete the second part of this cake.

Photobucket

Verdict: It is still not close to Lana's standard. Next I will try DP's modified version. Overall, my girl likes it but my son finds that it is not sweet.

L also demonstrated how to bake Madeleines that has a hump. In my memory, I think I only attempted it once and it was not a very successful experiment. She really make it looks really easy and not to mention delicious as well. My daughter loves it.

Photobucket

Most importantly, I see that signature humps that madeleine is supposed to have.

Photobucket

I really enjoyed myself so much. Not only we had fun baking together, it also enables me to get to know L better.

I admire her strong faith and I felt so honoured that she shared a miracle that happened in her life.

Her sharing helps me to renew my faith.

Thanks so much L!

Lana Esqu Chocolate Cake

What you need:

202g plain flour
79g cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup vegetable oil
200g castor sugar
7 eggs yolk
192g boiling water
2 tsp vanilla extract

7 egg white
½ tsp cream of tartar
50g castor sugar

Method

Preheat oven to 165ºC and line the bottom of 2 round 9" baking pans with baking paper. Do not line the sides or brush with oil/butter as the chiffon cake needs to be able to "cling" to this to rise.

Beat egg whites, part of the sugar and cream of tartar till stiff.

Combine cocoa powder and boiling water to form a paste.

In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (sift first), egg yolks, cocoa paste, oil, sugar and vanilla and mix well.

Fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.

Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Let cakes cool in pan.


Frosting

3 cups water
350g sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
120g butter
90g cocoa powder
90g cornflour
1 cup water

Method

Combine cocoa powder and cornstarch and mix with 1 cup water to make a smooth paste.

Bring other ingredients to a boil.

Take off the heat and add in the cocoa paste.

Return to heat and stir till thickened. I used a balloon whisk for this.

Keep stirring/whisking while it cools to avoid a skin forming on top of the custard.


To assemble

Split the cakes into half horizontally.

Brush with a little milk, slap on the custard, put on another layer etc. Cover cake with custard.

Refrigerate for several hours before serving. The cake really tastes a LOT better so resist the temptation to eat it straight away!
Print Friendly and PDF

13 comments:

  1. edith, the cake look so chocolatey! love it! and the madeleines are so perfect!
    can i check with you, can i bake the cake in one 8 inch pan? will the batter be too much? as i want a taller cake and slice into 3 layers. thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really nice! It reminded me of a baking friend whom I met during my course in BITC. :)
    The cake looks yummy. And I like the hump in the madaleines. I like your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drooling over your yummy chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always much pleasure to meet someone whom share the same interest & passion. Sounds fun to have a bake together session.
    I love that layers of rich frosting. So chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. edith, it's really wonderful with all these sharing with someone, you cook with your mum and you bake with your friend. Those are really precious moments! Is Lana a very popular bakery in sg? that madeleine really really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! The cake looks really soft and so perfect with that frosting. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith,
    You must be joking! :p You can decorate so well and you still want to go for that course? I think you can teach already! ;)
    Btw, you won't miss much by not going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edith, this chocolate looks very rich and good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith,
    This cake looks fantastic. So chocolatey, i alway had this soft spot for chocolate stuff. Drooling already...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edith, thanks for sharing your joy with us. The cake looks perfect and so happy to know you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been using Helena's madeleine recipe and I get those humps all the time. Have you tried?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin