Thursday, October 13, 2011

Complicated

I enjoy browsing through Chinese recipe books as much as the English.

Personally I find that the Chinese ones offer more variety than others. Unfortunately most terminology is like alien to me.

Flour alone, I am already confused despite friends translating it for me some time back. I just failed to remember them. Hopeless right?

Okay now I know 高筋面粉 is bread flour, 中筋面粉 is plain flour, what about 底筋面粉? It is cake flour? Thanks to my friend G, clarification done. 高筋面粉 is bread flour, 中筋面粉 is plain flour and 底筋面粉 is cake flour.

During a visit to the library as a weekly routine these days to hid away from the sun while waiting for my girl to complete her tuition. I enjoy sitting by the chinese book section and browsing through all those beautiful pictures.

When I couldn't resist, I will usually loan it but attempting these recipes are only 1%.

Thus for this particular book that I loaned, the pictures are just too awesome to resist.

One such is mizu manjzu. I think this is the Japanese version of our 糕点 (kueh kueh).

It looks so much like our 水晶饱!

But I couldn’t get to work immediately as the main ingredient and some other ingredients that I don’t even know what they are! So I set out to do my search on the net.

Finally, I found the translation and then set out to find the ingredient as it is not commonly available at the supermarket.

Thanks to my new friend LT, she managed to find for me arrowroot powder at a smaller packing. After she bought that for me, I was able to locate it at Tanglin Supermarket as well as the Cold Storage in town! When you need it, you just don't seems to find it. Once you get it, it looks like it is available everywhere! arrrgh.

Now let me present to you Mizu Manjyu aka 水馒头.

I have never used arrowroot flour before, so I was surprised by the texture. It brought back memories when my mom will make a batch of starch to starch our clothes when we were very young. Of course, gone are the days we starched our clothes.

The sticky and transparent texture is a little hard to handle. Luckily I was able to fix a mistake that I nearly commit. I mistaken 薯米糖 as glucose, I think the correct one should be corn syrup. Correct?

Didn't have time to make red bean paste so I actually used store brought.

Seriously, I failed to make them pretty as in the book. Taste wise, it is definitely something new. Next time, I will change the corn syrup to sugar instead to make it sweeter.

Photobucket

Don't know whether this will consider a traditional kueh kueh as a Japanese version.

Nevertheless, I am pleased to submit this post to this month's AB event, Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

Source: Chilled dessert

Serve 4
What you need:

1 tsp agar agar powder 寒天粉
30g arrowroot powder 葛粉
200ml water
2 tsp corn syrup? 粟米糖 (will replaced this with castor sugar)
green bean paste or pumpkin paste or red bean paste

Method

Stir a little water from (200ml) into arrowroot to form a paste. Slowly add the remaining water and blend well. Sieve.

Add agar agar powder, corn syrup to the arrowroot solution and bring to a boil. Stirring continuously till it starts to thicken and become transparent.

Fill half the mould with the arrowroot mixture and fill two tsp of green bean paste and top off with arrowroot mixture. Set aside to cool before chilling it.

Serve cold with maple syrup.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Edith, like yourself, I was confused with the different type of flour translation when I started out baking. Even till date, sometimes I am rather clueless to some of the baking terms use in Chinese tho I enjoy just as much with Chinese baking books.
    This kueh is new & interesting to me. Have never seen this. I love the crystal like skin, must be very smooth and nice to eat.
    I love the composition for your pics Edith. I find that all your pics are very bright, clear and sharp, unlike mine, even I have a good camera but my pics always turned out dull :( Do u use tripod?Can u share with me what mode do u use to snap or any tips. Appreciated that. I thank u in advance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm maybe it could mean plain rice malt syrup or brown rice malt syrup!? japanese ppl like to include this in their wagashi...

    oh maybe i'm wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks absolutely beautiful edith! no recipe? I feel like trying cos the 'crystal' like effect is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The high medium low Chinese flour thingy means high medium and low gluten flour, no?

    I wish that I have the time to experiment in the kitchen nowadays, but somehow between finding ingredients and finding the time to do anything nothing gets done.

    Also with the days getting shorter here in Shanghai there is less natural light for food photography and that takes half the motivation away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks pretty enough for me.
    The grocery store nearby had bags and bags or arrowroot starch packed in 1kg unsold for so long in the fridge.. LOL. Maybe I should help them out a bit by buying and make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post reminds me of the 水晶包 my mum used to make...and about using starch to starch bedsheets and my bros army clothes, it still reminds fresh in my memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith, I'm not sure if I'm wrong as I guess 底筋面粉 should be plain flour or all purpose flour whereas 中筋面粉 is somewhere between bread flour and plain flour. Please correct me if I'm wrong :) cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do the same with Korean- I like to browse Korean websites to get ideas. They have a lot of interesting and cool stuff there.. then I struggle with different measurement terms... so I always end up making up my own recipes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa L. isn't malt is 麦?

    Janine, oops just loaded. Thanks.

    Beau Lotus, diff medium said different stuff so I am so confused.

    Me too most of the time. Only thought but no action.


    wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more, arrowroot is not avail anywhere in singapore. Just today, I found another place selling it. So I guess I didn't open my eyes big enough.

    Happy Homebaker, yes that starch for laudry is also fresh in my memory.

    Kitchen Corner, then what about the last one?

    Sook, had never tried browsing on Korean website. Will check that out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing a japanese dessert here, is it chewy? i would regard 中筋面粉 as all purpose flour and 低筋 as cake flour too but sometimes i use them interchangeably. Sometimes it's really difficult to differentiate the difference between the 2 flours cos they dont indicate the percentage of protein in them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin