Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cook and Share a Pot of Curry and a birthday celebration

**************
Do join me on this Heritage Food Trail if you have the time. I am sure it will be an opportunity to get to know other dialect food cuisine.

This applies to both your own dialect or your spouse's.

Closing date: 31 August 2011


************

My parents came over for a visit today. Its sure been a while since they last visited.

The other day, when my daughter told her grand dad that there had been many kittens visiting us. Being an animal lover, my dad actually told us to adopt it.

Of course it is easier said than done. I have to consider the long term plan. Having a pet is like having a baby. You can't just refund it, it is a life long commitment. Having a constraint place didn't help at all with the decision. I also talk to my friend T who has 5 cats and she also told me to consider it very carefully. The commitment is no easy matter.

In the end, the reality over rides the wishes.

Today, we celebrated my kids' birthday since daddy is leaving town and won't be back in time for the actual day celebration.

To made it more meaningful, my parents were present as well. It is really nice to know that the grandparents took note of their birthdays.

Photobucket

I decided to cook another pot of curry to support the Cook and Share a Pot of Curry event. This time round, Chicken Curry, since it is very troublesome for my mom to cook this for just my dad and herself.

Photobucket

While I am at it, I also baked a Cherry Pie as it is in season and this batch really tasted so sweet. While my mom helped with the pitting, my daughter helped in arranging the cherries. This is what this team effort produced.

Photobucket

I didn't have time to chill it real well. Then again, we just couldn't wait to eat it. It is really good. My mom loved the Pate Brisee and I love the pastry cream. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

What is a birthday party without a birthday cake right? I have some leftover durian paste and I turned this into a Durian Cake as my kids’ birthday cake. Cheapo mommy you might say but having two kids with the same birthday, it does help with some work. hahaha

Photobucket

I definitely lost the piping skill that I learnt before. Somehow I fear I overwhipped the cream and my warm hard didn't help at all.

No elaborate decoration as I was trying hard to get it back into the fridge for it to set as my parents were tired and have to leave.

Happy Birthday my babies. I hope you all are happy with your presents and may you be blessed with good health.

I am submitting the cherry pie to Aspiring Bakers #10: Easy As Pie ( August 2011) hosted by Janine of Not The Kitchen Sink!

Cherry Pie
What you need:

Pate Brisee (Crust) (Martha Stewart)

352g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
¼ ice water

Method

Whisk plain flour, salt and sugar well.

Add in the butter and rub till fine crumbs.

Slowly drizzle ice water and knead to a dough. If too dry, add a little by little to form a soft dough.

Divide into two and wrap them in plastic bag. Press each into a disc and chill until firm.

Roll them to the required thickness and fit into the pie dish.

Pastry Cream (Cesine Bullock-prado)

6 egg yolks
100g sugar
32g corn starch
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream

Method

Whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and salt till light and fluffy.

In a heavy saucepan, bring milk and cream to a rolling boil.

Pour hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Drizzle slowly while mixer is on med speed. (to prevent scalding)

Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and continue cooking on low heat till it thickens and able to coat the spoon.

Sieve the custard into a bowl and put a cling wrap on it to prevent skin forming. Cool completely before chilling.

Assemble

Cherries, pitted
Pastry Cream
Pie crust

Method

Coat pie crust with melted chocolate.

Add in pastry cream and arrange cherries.

Served chilled.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. The cherry pie looks so good! I bought some fresh cherries too, as they are really sweet and juicy at this time. And it's handy that you have a cherry pitter. Last round, I used a chopstick to do the pitting, which is rather tiring. I find the swirls on the durian cake very nice. The sides may not be perfectly smooth, but it's your thoughts and efforts that count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both the pie and the cake!!! All look so delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some very mouth watering desserts. I love the cake best. It looks irresistible !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chicken curry looks very delicious. Likewise, the cherry pie (very pretty cherry) and durian cake look so yummy and delicious. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that your kids like durian cake...some kids cannot stand the smell :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fong's Kitchen Journal, yes this season cherries are really good. Very sweet. I got this pitter long time ago but we usually take the fruit whole so no chance to really use it but making this pie is a good opportunity.

    Thanks Cuisine Paradise, The Experimental Cook and Theresa.

    tigerfish, i trained them when they were very young but these days, my son is not as keen as before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin