Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Acquired taste bud

My hubby and I love spicy food. In fact, I recalled my aunt gave me a whole green chilli to munch when I was only 6 years old. From there I cultivated a liking for spicy food.

Then again, I remembered there was a short phrase in my life that I started not able to take spicy food. I was away for nearly 4 months and wasn't exposed to this cuisine at all. I came home losing this acquired taste bud. Really strange but it is true. I felt the heat easily, my lips will burn and I have to “simmer” the heat with water all the time. The joy of eating nasi padang become meaningless with the pain in the mouth. I was concerned that I will not be able to eat all my favourite dishes whole heartedly.

After months and years of not giving up, these days, I am happy to say that I am back to my normal self.

With that said, my son had already started taking some chilli dishes. He started off with Roti Prata and had such graduated to curries.

Sad to say, my daughter is not as adventurous. A slightest taste of heat, she will recoil.

With a small family, it is really hard to plan menu especially now we have 4 against 1.

When I saw Cherry on the Cake's Spicy Honey Chicken, I knew I had to make that for my dinner. It just looks so delicious!

Naturally my daughter wasn't really pleased but she just got to start from somewhere.

Thanks Zurin, we love this dish!

Photobucket

My photo didn't do justice, please hop over to hers if you are not convinced. You just got to try it.

************

HAVE SOME FUN


Yesterday, while driving home, I had this wild thought. You see, my friend, JY just went for a heritage walk over the weekend. Apparently Singapore launched a heritage program last week and I was thinking to myself.

Will it be a good idea if food bloggers come together to showcase home cooked food based on their own heritage?

As Singapore is made up for different races and dialect groups, it will definitely be interesting to see such submission.

For I know that besides Chinese who has Teochew, Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka and etc, Indian also has their own dialect group as well as the Malays too.

So my fellow bloggers, if you are keen, just sent in your submission by 27th August 2011.

Participate
Anyone

Criteria

Cook a dish or made a dessert based on your heritage.

Post it on your blog within 27 July 2011 to 27 August 2011.

Your recipe chosen can either be from hand me down recipe or if you source from a book or internet, please give due credit and a link to it.

Where to sent to?

mythoughtsmyblog@yahoo.com.sg

Please indicate in your mail header: Heritage Food Trial.

The format:

Your name/dialect group: eg(edith/Cantonese)
Blog Name:
Name of the dish/dessert you are submitting:
URL of your post:
Your photo size should not more than 500k

Now let's have some fun and look forward to seeing your submission.

What you need:

4 chicken thighs, bone in ( with skin on)
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1-2 tsp curry powder, any kind
3/4 tsp salt
Water
Cooking oil for deep frying

Combine Turmeric powder, curry powder and salt with a little water to mix into a thick-ish slurry.

Coat the chicken pieces with it evenly and deep fry the chicken pieces in a large wok or pan until cooked through and golden brown. Keep aside.

Throw off most of the oil from the wok or pan leaving about 2-3 tablespoons behind.

3 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp chillie paste (either homemade or bought)
3 T tomato ketchup
11/4 T honey
4-5 T water
1 lime, juiced (optional)
1 large onion, sliced into rings

Method:

Pound or grate the garlic and ginger. Saute the paste in the 2-3 tablespoons of oil left behind in the wok or pan until fragrant.

Add tomato sauce, chili paste, curry powder and honey and stir to combine. Add water to loosen up the mixture. Add salt to taste.

Add the deep fried chicken pieces and stir to mix so that the chicken pieces get well coated with the sauce. Add the onion rings.

Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes until the onion rings soften and the chicken pieces have absorbed some of the sauce.

Add the lime juice. You may add a little more water if it gets a little dry.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Wow!!Your spicy chicken really looks very spicy and delicious. Make me so hungry now. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some more got subdialaect one, I'm Panyu-cantonese. The Panyu subdialect is not the same as Cantonese.
    I remember my grandaunt talked about a steamed worm dish that is so so Panyu. Don't think can replicate that here. I'll see how I'll go about this. Cantonese huh.... it's not hard, but don't want to do sweet sour pork. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa, hop over to Zurin's blog and you will further be convinced!

    Wendy, mmm... this is a interesting dialect. First time heard of. I wonder what are their specialty. Can you recall? beside that worm dish of course. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting idea, Edith! if only we can come together and share the food, it'll even be better! Hehe... I'm in. However, I don't know hiw yo make others besides the Hokkien Mee (black dark sauce). I'll find a way some how! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith :)

    thanks for the link and more thanks for trying out the recipe. your photo is great and it looks like just how I cooked it ! So happy that youre happy....Love reading your stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cantonese have a lot of sub dialects, Toong Koon, Sei Wooi, Sei Yap, Shun Dak and some more that I do not know of.
    The best place to see all the subdialects is on gravestones :p
    Even Hokkiens have theirs too.
    I think got yong chun, anhui, jinjiang and so on so forth.
    My hubby is Jinjiang hokkien.

    Even Hakkas have theirs. Some are tungkoon hakka(my friend), some panyu hakka(my aunt), some hor poh hakka (friend), and so on so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith, any spicy food will please my palette and your spicy chicken will definitely make this Quay Po a happy girl! No need more convincing lah. Thanks for the link and I wonder should I go with Quay Lo's heritage or mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Looks mouth watering! I totally agree that spiciness is an acquired taste... I have been trained since young and without chilli I can't live!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin