Thursday, June 23, 2011

I always wanted to try this

When my old email went into the graveyard, I lost many of my chit chatting msn kakis. Also these days, I hardly had time to chat as I spent many hours outdoor (waiting for my girl to be done with her tuition). With this reason, I also hardly make new cyber friends to share my passion.

Lately, via facebook, I realised that I have many classmates who enjoy baking and I am thrilled. It is also nice to have friends who shared the same passion as you. Exchanging ideas and recipes are so fun and of course, drooling on their bakes that tantalise your taste bud and nudging you to get into the kitchen as well.

I love such adrenaline!

When I saw F, my classmate baked a rye bread not too long ago. I know it is about time, I take my baby step. As if it is a signal for I bought a pack of rye flour while shopping for cake supplies during my last trip in Kuala Lumpur!

I always wanted to bake a loaf of artisan bread. You see I love artisan bread. This love was started when this poor back packer was back packing in Europe 19 years ago.

Till to date, whenever I travel, I usually go for the bread first on the buffet table. Definitely not those white loaf slices!

I have many books on bread but the thought of making the starter or poolish daunt me. So anyone out there who enjoys making artisan bread, do you want to take me as your disciple or break making kaki?

So here I am, attempting a rye bread. Unfortunately, I failed in my mission. Against my instinct, I went on to try the recipe from the same book that I done for the Little Butter Bun. It was a book that I loaned from the library, I should have tried F’s recipe first instead so that I know the exact texture it will yield.

Photobucket

I am not sure whether I wasted the whole 500g of rye flour or not. As you see, the second proofing wasn't that successful. It was also very sticky and I had a hard time making a hole inside or even shape it nicely.

Nevertheless, I still went ahead to bake it. The bread turned out heavy and it might not have baked thoroughly judging from the texture.

Latest update: My classmates tasted it and all said was good. So I guess it wasn't a failed attempt. LOLz.

Photobucket

It tasted more like a kind of German bread that I ate before. A little damp and heavy but goes very well with quark but I have yet to find quark in Singapore or try to recall the name of that bread.

Well you win some and you lose some. There is also a bad experiment.

I am submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #8 - Bread Seduction (June 2011) hosted by Jasmine from Sweetylicious

Source: Nordic Bakery

What you need:
Yield two loaves

7g instant yeast
450ml lukewarm water
400g rye flour
1 tsp sea salt

Method:

Mix yeast with 200ml of lukewarm water and a couple of tbsp of the rye flour (I used 400g). Stir well and cover with cling wrap and leave it overnight.

Mix in the salt and remaining fye flour with enough warm water to make a soft dough.

Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for a few min - it will be soft and sticky.

Cover and prove in warm place for 1 - 1.5 hours or double in volume. (mine didn't)

Punch down the dough, divide into two portion and roll into a ball. Flatten and make a hole in the centre to form a ring. (i had difficulties as the dough was really soft and sticky still).

Place on tray and leave to prove for another 1 hour.

Bake for 30mins at 220 degree.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin