Monday, June 28, 2010

The school term begins

Today begins the brand new school term for the third semester.

Though I am not looking forward going back under the hot sun waiting for my kids to end school, I am definitely happy to see them going back to school.

For the past three weeks, I have to think of ways to entertain them. Being home all day long also didn't provide me with the peace that I enjoyed each morning. Well, I can't complain at all because I had a very precious one week away from them to have some ME time.

This third semester will be a testing ground for academic aspect from my kids. I had given them the ultimatum that if they don't do well, a lot of play time will be taken away from them and replaced by tuition.

Seriously this is my last resort as my hubby and I both do not really agree that we load our kids with tuition time. Then again, if it needs to be done, it has to be done. Such is life I guess.

Last week, I had intention to prepare a cold dessert but was put off by it because I couldn't find vanilla ice cream in the supermarket. You won't believe it right?

Before the melon rot away, I decided to do it with or without the ice cream. After all, even though I don't like honeydew, I certainly enjoy dessert like Honeydew Sago Dessert 蜜瓜西米露.

Photobucket

This time, I actually used the big sago balls. A mistake as it takes ages to cook. I can never cook sago properly. I remembered once, I over done it as it turned out to be a pot of glue.

Maybe my reader can share a tip or two on how to handle this.

My next mission is to try Gula Melaka Sago.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. To cook sago, put them in only when the water has come to a rolling boil. Especially big ones, do not attempt to soak them in cold water. If you must soak them, boil for 5 minutes then turn off the heat and soak in the hot water.

    Big ones takes a long time to cook, but I don't boil them all the while. After putting them in, I bring back to a rolling boil on medium heat, then continue to let it boil, lid off for 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat, put the lid on and let it sit for 1 hour. Then check, if the sago balls are still white in the center, boil again, but then by now the center is already moist by the soaking and will not take forever to cook. Or you can just let them simmer on low for 1 hour after 10 minutes of rolling boil. You need that early rolling boil to prevent them from sticking to one another or put a ceramic spoon into the pot to act as an automatic stirrer :)

    Oh yea, have you seen my ginger milk curd post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy for the tip on Sago. Definitely going to pick up another pack of sago on my grocery trip when I am thinking about my my next dessert.

    Ha! I was away when your milk curd post went online. Will give it a try this week. So I guess fresh milk won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I rem correctly, my MIL and mom cook it the same way too ie pour in sago only when water is boiling. Let it boil for 5 - 10 mins, stir in between. Off fire and leave to soak in the hot water for 30 mins. If still uncooked, repeat the process above.

    Gula Melaka Sago is also on my To-Do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checked my MIL. She cooks her big sago this way.

    Pour big sago into boiling water, boil for 5 - 10 mins. Transfer to cool water (she uses tap water) and soak for 1 - 2 hours. Repeat the process above.

    Can make this the night before and store the cooked sago in fridge, soaked. That's what she usually does.

    Anyway, you already succeeded so just FYI only. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks BH for checking it out for me. Really appreciated it! I will try the remaining packet next week. Hopefully mine will turned out good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Wendy for the tip on Sago. Definitely going to pick up another pack of sago on my grocery trip when I am thinking about my my next dessert.

    Ha! I was away when your milk curd post went online. Will give it a try this week. So I guess fresh milk won't work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin