Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In between

This week is really going to be short and crazy week. I have been spending alot of time on my "hobby".

Actually I am getting a little cold feet by accept AW's request for a fondant cake for her friend's birthday. I am not very confident that I can pull through.

Badly needed too break the routine and lighten up my tension. I went to make some Fried Sweet Potato Balls, 蕃薯旦.

I don't know why but maybe because my eldest aunt passed on two days ago makes me feel nostalgic. Somehow it stirred my emotion and I am missing my granny badly.

This snack was like a "must have" when I stay over at her place during the school holiday. It is like a reward for us when we are good. I remembered that this is usually peddled by a young boy who goes floor by floor calling out 蕃薯旦, and my granny will give us the money to buy a bag of it.

How are you granny? I misses you.

I have done some modification from Lily's Wai Sek Hong to suit our taste bud.

Photobucket

What you need:

500g mashed sweet potatoes (steamed)
190g glutinou rice flour
10g potato starch flour
6 tbsp castor sugar
1.5 tbsp custard powder
10 tbsp water or less Sesame seed (optional)

Method

Combined all the dry ingredients and add in water slowly. Tablespoon by tablespoon till you are able to form a dough.

Knead it well and using a spoon.

Scoop some dough to be rolled into a ball.

Dip into a ball of water and then coat it with sesame seed.

Deep fried till golden brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Maxwell market has this stall which sells these too. I love them. Maybe one day I should also try to make some. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so touched by your sentiment, E!
    I don't think I have ever tried this snack (HK has sth similar but seem not the same...). Your gorgeous photo (once again :) :) urge mes to try the recipe.
    Last but not the least, I am so flattered that you have mentioned my blog (in your Aug's post). Thank you so much my dearest friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 我还没吃过蕃薯蛋.看到你做的这个很惹味哦!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious! I have eaten similar but not with sweet potato before. They look really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E, can I do without the custard powder???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you can. If you blend the flour with liquid and still too wet. Just increase the dry portion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks a like with traditional food from my country...but with no custard powder and sesame

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, its me again....:)..had tried this recipe and yummm...I subtitued castor sugar with palm sugar...:)...next time i'll use purple sweet potato..

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks a like with traditional food from my country...but with no custard powder and sesame

    ReplyDelete
  10. 我还没吃过蕃薯蛋.看到你做的这个很惹味哦!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin