Thursday, July 23, 2009

I am so curious

When A asked me as to whether I had eaten Bangkok Kaya Cake before, my response was "what is that?". Apparently this recipe was made popular in the 90s. I wasn't really into baking then.

During that time, I think my favourite was Sara Lee Pound cake and it is simply off the shelf type. LOLz.

She told me that it is basically a layer of sponge cake, a layer of coconut agar agar and a layer of coffee flavoured agar agar.

The question to her was, how can it be kaya cake when there isn't any? A, who is the lucky one, had a chance to taste an authentic one and she told me that when you eat it, it gives a feel of you eating a kaya cake.

Though I am no fan of coconut, this really got me curious enough to do a search on the internet.

True enough, I didn't get any luck. Even the one that posted by a popular blogger under a different name for the cake (who adapted from a magazine) was nothing close to that according to A as she had tried that recipe from this particular magazine ages ago.

The search result leads me to a few Malaysian bakers who either sell this cake or conduct lesson on this. Of course, I don't have the luxury to drive or fly up north just to learn this.

Strangely, there isn’t any Thai baker who is doing this either, so now how on earth this Bangkok Kaya Cake comes about?

If you are the lucky one who had tasted this and know about the origin of this cake, please do share with me or if you have the recipe, I would love to try it out. Nevertheless, A managed to source for one that she said was close to the authentic.

Well at least for now, I get to taste something close. Don't try won't know right? I didn't breeze through this cake even though the recipe looked simple.

I failed on my sponge base. Threw it in the bin and got deflated. Wanted to try another sponge recipe but that one don't use Optima flour and I was thinking that this bag of flour is going to waste.

Luckily D was sharing with me a reliable easy sponge that still uses Optima Flour. So this morning, after the cake batter was in the oven, I was praying hard that it will be nice and brown.

I was into the 2nd process and decided to halt it just in case the base failed me again. Phew, all went well and the cake unmould beautifully.

After that, it was easy peasy all the way. I am going to share this with a group of mommies over dinner. I can't wait for the review.

Photobucket

My kaya layer is in a horrible hue as I added in the wrong colour! Though it might be yucky in looks, let's hope it is not yucky in taste to this group of ladies.

Verdict: The coffee overpowering, the coconut is distinctive but it is no way kaya like. So conclusion is that this cake doesn't give that kaya cake feel. Nevertheless, it is nice as little N had three pieces at one go and the ladies like it too.

What you need:

3 eggs
188g Optima flour
52ml water
53ml corn oil
½ tsp vanilla essence
A pinch of salt

Method

Preheat oven at 180 ˚C . Greased and lined a 10” pan.

Beat all the above for 10 mins and bake for 15 mins.

Coffee Layer

What you need:


500ml water
150g sugar (I will reduced to 100g)
¾ tbsp agar agar powder
½ tbsp chocolate emulco
1.5 tsp instant coffee (reduced to 1 tsp)

Method

Put all the ingredients into a small pot.

Stir to boil till sugar and agar agar dissolved.

Pour into a 9” pin and leave to set.

Kaya Layer
What you need:


750ml thick coconut milk (from 1.5 coconut)
150g sugar (reduced to 100g)
¼ tsp salt
1.5 tbsp agar agar powder
A little green colouring
45g cornflour
90ml milk

Note:
I will reduce to 500ml coconut and 340ml milk with an additional of 2 eggs.
Reduced corn flour to 20g.

Method

Stir and boil milk with sugar and agar agar powder till sugar and agar agar is dissolved.

Add in cornflour and stir till blended.

Add in coconut milk and eggs and whisk till it thickened.

Reduced heat and further cook it for a few mins.

Pour into coffer layer and then put the cake on top of the kaya layer.

Leave to set and chill in the fridge. Serve chilled.
Print Friendly and PDF

13 comments:

  1. I think this sounds delicious. I love the look of the coffee layer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The layers look great, and the texture of the sponge layer looks wonderful, if I may say so :-) So glad it worked out! Can't wait for your review of how it tastes (unlike you I haven't been lucky enough to get to try the authentic thing). I want to try it next week. Of course, I won't be using blue :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Bangkok Kaya Cake looks nice. I've got one recipe on hand to try, hasn't found time to do it yet. Procrastinating as I'm not a coffee person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the blue colour on the coconut layer,look very pretty leh

    I bet it look more pretty after sliced into little pieces

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours look pretty cool actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Heatherfeather, my hubby like it very much. For my friends, they like it too but for the kaya feel, I think I still need to work on this recipe which doesn't yield that effect.

    D, try it. I didn't get to taste the authentic one too but my friend did. Lucky her. Yah yah, go for green. Perhaps I am colour blind. LOLz.

    Thanks Blessed Homemaker, try it and see whether yours is better. I am curious to know too.

    Perhaps you can add chocolate instead of coffee. Or lower the coffee quantity.

    Thanks AK, I didn't have time to display the cut out portion and take picture coz i was rushing out for dinner with the ladies.

    Thanks Pigpigcorner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bangkok Kaya Cake is a very nice cake. I have the recipe adapted from Agnes Chan's cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I liked the cake whether it tasted like kaya or not - and especially it was nice of you to have shared it with us!

    Edith, nice meeting you and your children over dinner. Hopefully we'll have more time to meet up the next time I return. And the restaurant was lovely, thanks for introducing it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, I don't know whether mine was adapted from there. Need to check with my friend.

    Beau Lotus, it was a pleasure meeting you too. Glad you enjoyed the companies and food. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can also find a recipe on Bangkok Kaya Cake from www.kuali.com. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Heatherfeather, my hubby like it very much. For my friends, they like it too but for the kaya feel, I think I still need to work on this recipe which doesn't yield that effect.

    D, try it. I didn't get to taste the authentic one too but my friend did. Lucky her. Yah yah, go for green. Perhaps I am colour blind. LOLz.

    Thanks Blessed Homemaker, try it and see whether yours is better. I am curious to know too.

    Perhaps you can add chocolate instead of coffee. Or lower the coffee quantity.

    Thanks AK, I didn't have time to display the cut out portion and take picture coz i was rushing out for dinner with the ladies.

    Thanks Pigpigcorner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The layers look great, and the texture of the sponge layer looks wonderful, if I may say so :-) So glad it worked out! Can't wait for your review of how it tastes (unlike you I haven't been lucky enough to get to try the authentic thing). I want to try it next week. Of course, I won't be using blue :-P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this sounds delicious. I love the look of the coffee layer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin