Tuesday, May 26, 2009

High Tea my way

Today is C’s birthday. Usually for our birthday celebrations, either we have it in the cafe or restaurant and then followed by clubbing. This time round, we decided to do something different.

Have a high tea in my little house since none ever visited, it will be nice to have them over. Though I don't have fine China bone to serve my tea or fancy cake stand to hold my cakes, I am sure my buddies wouldn't mind drinking coffee or tea out of coffee mugs.

Since it is a high tea style, I need to provide varieties. It is tough to bake small portion and yet offer varieties. But I was very keen to try out many and that really spurs me on.

This Banana Cake was shared by a flickr member and had received really good review. As usual, it has been on my KIV file for a long time and finally I tried it.

Photobucket

The verdict: Very good. Nice and fluffy. Definitely a keeper.

What you need:

125g butter
175g sugar
2 eggs
234g mashed bananas
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp boiling milk
1 tsp baking power
225g plain flour

Method:

Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time.

Mixed in mashed bananas.

Add baking solda that has been dissolved in hot milk.

Lastly mix in sifted flour and baking powder.

Baked in a 20cm pan on 180 degree for 40 mins.

The mixture will product around 18 standard cupcakes at 180 degree for 18 - 20 mins.

************************

This Lemon Curd Muffin is from Sweet & Simple Bake Challenge for this month.

Since I won't be able to bake it closer to date. I might as well have it now. Partly also I didn't want to miss this month challenge as I gave it a miss last round.

I always love Rosie and Marie's recipe. It is so simple and if you are looking for a quick fix for tea. Go for this one.

Photobucket

I didn't sugar coat it as I was afraid that it might be too sweet.

The verdict: I love the tang. The lemon curd went really well with the muffin. Mine is a little dry but I strongly believed that I overbaked it a little.

What you need:
Makes 12 Muffins

200g/7oz self-raising flour
100g/3½ oz golden caster sugar
1 large egg
75ml/3fl oz sunflower oil
150ml/5fl oz milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
60ml/12 tsp lemon curd

For the sugar coating:

60ml/4 tbsp lemon curd
50g/2oz golden caster sugar

Method:

Heat the oven to 190oC/375oF/gas 5. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.

Sieve the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar.

In a large jug mix together the egg, sunflower oil, milk and vanilla extract using a fork.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently together until just combined.

Put a teaspoon of mixture in the base of each paper case.

Top with 1 tsp lemon curd. Top with the rest of the muffin mixture.

Bake for 10-15 minutes until risen and firm.

For the sugar coating, microwave the lemon curd on high for 1 minute until melted.

Put the sugar into a shallow bowl.

Brush on top of each muffin and dip the tops of each one in sugar to coat the tops.

******************

I haven't been baking tarts for a long long time. I bought some really good quality tart tins some time back and finally my white elephant is being put to good use.

I love peaches unfortunately D didn't like tart and peach. Luckily the rest of the ladies sang praises for this one. This time round, I used Dorie's recipe and it yields a light and biscuit like crust.

Besides finding the dough hard to managed as it is so soft and I didn't do really a good job.

My tart ended up with thick crust but because it is so buttery, my guests and I love this Peach Tart.

I used my trusted Creme Patissiere from VW.

Photobucket

Lastly, we can't have a birthday celebration with a cake right? I baked C a Serikaya Cake as she loves it very much the last time.

Photobucket

Sorry gal, no time to frost as I was caught up by a long phone call. Well so much rich food, we just got to wash it down with a cup of good Honey Vanilla Chamonile Tea or a glass of ice cold Lemongrass tea.

I totally agree with WY that this drink is indeed refreshing, it is also very good for killing cancer cells.

Photobucket

Now Ms C, Happy Birthday! Forever young.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks very yummy. It is so hot here today, I wish i had some of that lemongrass tea too. I made the lemon curd cupcakes for the Simple Bakes event too. I love how yours look! Very dainty.

    I also made my own version of your pasta bake tonight (which I blogged about and linked to your site). It turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a beautiful high tea - everything looks so good. Happy belated birthday to C :0)

    Those lemon curd muffins look wonderful and my family really enjoyed them too.

    Many thanks for partaking this month - we hope you will join us once again in our next bake @ S&SB

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The liners for your lemon curd muffins are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith

    What a gorgeous feast.Your muffins turned out gorgeous and thanks for taking part.

    Hope you will join us again!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin