Sunday, March 29, 2009

A revisit

My parents dropped by this weekend to finish up some shelving that dad was helping us to install last week.

Dad is really good with carpentry work though he doesn't come from this profession. He just had the flair for hands on stuff.

Due to his perfectionist personality thus his workmanship is considered good.

Initially we wanted to bring them to K box after the "job". Guess it took longer than expected. Of course, my little princess was greatly disappointed with the change in plan as she was waiting patiently the whole afternoon.

Since I got to bake for Cupcake Fantasies, I might as well do a honeycomb cake so that mom can bring some home for breakfast.

I have tried honeycomb cake some years back when I just started in the world of blogging. Sorry, I just couldn't locate the old post but I do remember blogging about it. Perhaps it is in the lot that got wiped out.

During that time, I was really new to the blogging world. I remembered blogs like Jan's Kitchen, My Kitchen, My laboratory, Playing with my food , Shiokdelicoius to name just a few.

They were wonderful people. It was them that got me really interested in cooking and baking. In fact, one of them even encouraged and taught me how to start a blog.

Now quite a number have since stopped blogging and I do wonder how they are doing now. Some seems too disappeared into thin air. It will be really nice to have them blog again as they was really good at it.

For me I really don't know when that day will come for me to say goodbye. Perhaps one day, just like them, I grew tired or I have another career that needed my attention more. Well, we never really know right?

So here I leave you with a honeycomb cake that I didn't quite get it. Just like the last time.

It was a recipe that I took from Jo Deli forum during that time, yes it was my 2nd forum that I stumbled onto at that time. Apparently the source is from Renee's (Shiokdelicious) which I just happened to see it now. LOLz.

Talking about her, now she is another blogger that I am wondering how she is doing, really hope to see her blog again. Renee, if you are reading my humble blog (I seriously doubt she will), I wish I can reconnect with you.

I don't know why the "tunnels" only appeared on the bottom of the cake. Nevertheless, it still tastes good. Perhaps it is I need to do it another time to get it right?

Photobucket

Makes one 8" round cake
What you need:

210g sugar
240g water
80g butter
6 eggs
160g condensed milk
180g all-purpose flour
2½ tsp baking soda

Method:

Caramelize sugar over low heat in a saucepan until it is golden brown. Stir at all times.

Add water to the caramel. Be careful as the hot caramel will splash when water is added.

Continue to heat until syrup is homogeneous. Remove from heat.

Melt butter in hot syrup. Let syrup cool down completely.

Preheat oven at 180 degC.

In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs with a hand whisk.

Add condensed milk and mix well.

Sift flour and baking soda into another mixing bowl.

Pour (4) into flour and mix well.

Add cooled syrup into batter. Pour batter into a greased 8" x 3"(H) round cake pan.

Leave batter aside for 5 minutes to enable baking soda to react prior to baking.

Bake cake with bottom heat only for 1 hour or until skewer inserted to centre of cake comes out clean.

Leave cake in pan for 5-10 minutes before turning it onto a wire rack. Let cool before cutting.

Reference: Credits and appreciations to Renee from Shiokadelicious and her friend MS.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. oohh.... i LOVE this cake! I've been looking for the recipe for ages! OMG! yours looks just like the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your honeycomb effect more leh , so clear oh !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! Haven't tried it myself yet, maybe after reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had been on my To Do list for the longest time! After seeing your post, it reminded that it's about time I bake this one day :P Your honeycomb effect looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agrees with the other comments. The honeycomb effect uis gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl

    This cake requires bottom heat only. My tabletop oven has only the top/bottom heat or the top heat for kueh lapis. So guess I can't bake this cake, right ?
    By the way, how's the texture like chewy, soft or spongy type?

    Thanks.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Catherine,

    I baked this cake as per normal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made it last week. Yours is a beauty. I think the most important is to get the chewy taste..lol.

    Some recipe used yeast instead of bicarbonate soda, i tried it but not successful as i had distorted the recipe too much.

    BTW, the top of my cake is a bit wet, dunno why. The bottom was nice and chewy. How about yours?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This had been on my To Do list for the longest time! After seeing your post, it reminded that it's about time I bake this one day :P Your honeycomb effect looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good! Haven't tried it myself yet, maybe after reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cheryl

    This cake requires bottom heat only. My tabletop oven has only the top/bottom heat or the top heat for kueh lapis. So guess I can't bake this cake, right ?
    By the way, how's the texture like chewy, soft or spongy type?

    Thanks.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin