Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I am sold

I just needed to have another go at it after my last success in bread making. Just to be sure that my success has nothing to do with luck. This time round, I made Sesame Bread with chocolate. Sounds yucky?

Well it was supposed to be Double Sesame Bread recipe but because we had nutty bread the other day. I wanted something sweet this time round.

Decide to blend in chocolate instead of sesame paste. Aiyo, wrong choice. My chocolate paste is not exactly chocolate paste because I just melted some chocolate bar available in the fridge and added in extra nutella for that hazelnut punch. Bad move.

Well, all is not lost. The texture of the bread was simply divine. It is soft and fluffy. I am definitely sold on this 17 hour low temperature pre-ferment dough method.

I read about the good review the 65°C TangZhong (湯種) method is but I think for a new beginner like me. It takes a bigger push to experience that as getting that temperature right is critical.

Just like when I was attempting Italian Meringue Buttercream, it always gives me a sense of nervousness to get the temperature correct. Even now!

The 17 hour low temperature pre-ferment dough method yields a soft, fluffy and chewy texture. It also stays soft when cold and the next day. I have yet to test as to how many days though.

I am so happy with the result that a dream to own a bread machine is no longer "a nice to have" for me anymore. To those out there who are like me, do try it.

This is definitely a good book to add to your collection. The author's instruction (bilingual) is very clear and concise.

Now making bread is no longer as alien and I will be happily churning out home made bread when I feel like it. Amidst my excitement, I totally forgotten to take a picture of the loaf of bread that I churned out. I was eagerly slicing some for hubby to bring to the office.

Photobucket

In the meantime, I will definitely have to practise my shaping skill. It is seriously flung with a big fat zero.

Adapted from Natural Bread Makes Easy

What you need:
Pre-ferment dough

449g bread flour
256g water
6.5g yeast
6g sea salt
13g milk powder

Method:

Dissolve the yeast in water.

Add bread flour, sea salt, milk powder and knead till soft. Cover the dough with cling wrap and chill to let it prove for 17 hours.

Dough

192g bread flour
19g milk powder
6g sea salt
64g sugar
130g water
58g egg (approx 1 egg)
3g yeast
51g unsalted butter
51g black sesame powder
Black sesame paste (sweet)
White sesame seed

Method

Knead all ingredients together except butter till smooth.

Add in the pre-ferment dough (small piece each addition).

Knead well after each addition.

Once dough is smooth, add in butter and knead till it passed the window pane test.

Put the dough in a bowl, cling wrap and proof for 20 - 30 mins.

Divide the dough into 6 portions.

Flatten each portion with your hand to drive out the air.

Shape into a square and cover the dough in cling wrap. Proof for another 20 mins.

Punch out the air again and roll the dough into a rectangular sheet.

Spread the black sesame paste on top.

Fold about 2cm from all edges. The width dimension should be the size of your baking tin.

Roll the dough up from one end.

Spray water onto the loaf and sprinkle white sesame seed. Place the dough into the tin.

Cover with cling wrap and further proof for 30 - 40 mins till dough in size.

Bake for 170˚C for about 30 - 35 mins.
Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

  1. Now I know your 'secret'. Hehe. I tried the Tangzhong method, its really quite easy and my breads were so soft! I'm tempted to try this recipe of yours since I finally, am able to bake decent breads. Lol. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    This looks really good. I would like to try it but have a few questions.

    1) Can I just grind black sesame for the black sesame powder and the paste?

    2) I am not too sure about the shaping of it. After dividing into 6 and punch out air, do you put them back together again to make the rectangular sheet?

    Thanks.

    Alannia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    May I know the name of the author and where can I buy the book from? Thanks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alannia,

    I reckon you can grind the black sesame. As for the paste, I am not sure whether you can do that coz I believe it is sweet.

    After dividing into 6 portion, proof then punch out air.

    Then roll into rectangular and put your paste fillings. Roll up into a roll and put inside the tin to proof. Then bake.

    June, here is the link http://www.cp1897.com.hk/product_info.php?BookId=9789623552202

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith, it's been a real long time since I've made bread. Seeing your sesame bread real tempts me to start my engine again. But I'm real busy coaching my boy. Hopefully I can find time to try this new technique. You got the book from HK?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe!! Will try it out during the weekend. Did you get the book from the HK site?

    ReplyDelete
  7. KWF, go for it. It is very nice and easy. I am sure this will be a piece of cake for you esp you have done bread making so many times.

    June and KWF, I borrowed this book from the library as refered to my post here http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2009/03/once-again.html.

    As for the book, I will be asking my aunt to bring over from HK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing..lovely bread. Will try baking them soon. Hope u are able to share more recipe on this new method because not many will get the chance to buy this book from HK :) Maybe a recipe on sweet bread with this new method would be great. thanks

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue, I am going to try a white loaf next week, is this the same as sweet bread?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Edith,
    You got hold of Kin's book!
    Go visit her site:
    http://hompy.netvigator.com/main/page/kin4430
    She has a whole series of 17-hour bread which you can try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hie edith, a recipe like sweet dough for buns with this method would be nice for making sausage roll :)

    Would be looking forward for yr white bread post nevertheless.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Edith.


    Alannia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Edith,

    May I ask if it is correct that the pre-ferment has no sugar and butter?

    Also, how is your pre-ferment like? I just tried it but the dough is very dry (the ferment is in the fridge now... patiently waiting for the next 17hours ^_^). Is this how yours too?

    Thanks for taking time to share this.

    Cheers.
    cookie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cookie,

    Yes there isn't any sugar and butter in the preferment dough. The dough is not too dry. After chilling, the dough is a little tough but it will blend in with the final dough after kneading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Edith,
    You got hold of Kin's book!
    Go visit her site:
    http://hompy.netvigator.com/main/page/kin4430
    She has a whole series of 17-hour bread which you can try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cookie,

    Yes there isn't any sugar and butter in the preferment dough. The dough is not too dry. After chilling, the dough is a little tough but it will blend in with the final dough after kneading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sue, I am going to try a white loaf next week, is this the same as sweet bread?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin