Friday, January 30, 2009

Annual Affairs

I can't really remember how long we have been doing this but my college classmates always meet up for a reunion during Lunar New Year.

It is only the last two years, we attempted to have more than one gathering. Other than that, it is an annual affair.

Now that our kids are easier to handle as we don't have to babysit. We begin to enjoy more and more of such gatherings. The adults are left to chat while the kids entertain themselves as their age group is really close and there is a good balance between the girls and boys.

Witnessing the kids growing up, somehow also reflected how we have aged. It is funny to watch my male classmates from lean young men to pot bellied daddies. (yes I am the only girl in this group and doesn't share the same dialect) and because my dear hubby is "one of them", it somehow brought them closer too. LOLz.

Initially this year's gathering was supposed to be held at my place but due to medical reason, the host went to LS.

I took me a long while to plan what I am going to bake. The usual me, always wanted to experience with new recipe yet but with yesterday's crazy schedule, I was once again feeling horrible.

The pain bothers me so much that I simply couldn't get up from my day bed. A promise is a promise, so no choice. The mind just have to overcome the body.

Moist Brownies is relatively an easy recipe. I managed to complete the whole process in just an hour.
Photobucket

Come to think about it, I haven't done any brownies for the longest time. This definitely live up to the moist and rich brownie that Alice Medrich describes.

You got to try it because I've got many thumbs up for it.

What you need:

8oz 70% bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3 large eggs 200g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp plain flour

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius and greased and lined an 8" square pan.

Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Stir till it is smooth. Set aside.

Beat eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla essence till thick and light (2 mins).

Whisk in warm chocolate. Fold in the flour.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 - 30 mins.

Cool in the pan on rack.

========

As for lunch, We are (if not I am) getting bored with my helper's creation. Perhaps it needs passion and interest to cook. If not, the taste is the same for every dish that lay on the table. That is my personal experience.

I have gotten some nice beef fillet and meant to stir fry it with onion but I changed my mind as I do have celery in the fridge. So for a change, I think Beef with Celery should be nice.

I am glad I made the switch because my kids love it soooo much.

Photobucket

(recipe adapted from The Best of Singapore Cooking)

What you need:

Marinade


1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 egg white, beaten lightly

Gravy (mix together)

2 tsp corn flour
6 tsp water
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp oyster sauce
455g beef fillet, slice thinnly
6 stalks of celery, cut diagonally
6 slices of ginger
1 tbsp garlic
2 stalks of spring onion, cut into 1" length (I omitted this coz we don't like)

Method

Marinate beef with ingredients for marinade. Let it stand for 1 hour.

With a little oil on high heat, stir fry celery and add a sprinkle of water. Sautee lightly. Remove. (takes about 3 mins)

Heat wok. Add oil. When oil is hot, put in the beef. Stir fry briefly. DO NOT OVER COOK them. Remove.

In a clean wok, heat oil.

Add ginger and garlic, fry till fragrant.

Add celery and fry for 1/2 min. Add in beef.

Stir in gravy till thickens. Serve hot.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Edith, what's the texture of these brownies? Is it like a very moist cake, with a crisp top? Is it chewy at all? Coz that was how mine turn out to be and I'm wondering whether I'm on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really remember whether it has a crisp top but it is definitely fudgey type. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin