Hubby decided to have a
potluck party for his club friends today.
Rewind to a week ago, he
was excitedly telling me who and who will be coming. Unfortunately after that,
he left town and only be back this afternoon.
So this poor wife (that is
me) is wondering besides the Ngoh Hiang and Agar Agar, what dishes will the
rest brings?
When man works, they don't
go into details. They only work on the bigger pictures. Haiz…
To make matter worst, I had two cakes orders to fulfil this week. Didn't help that the weather had been really wet and for those who works on fondant will know how difficult and stressful it will become for one to work on?
Enough said, I am happy that the cakes are out of the house and now I can fully concentrate on getting the party rolling tonight.
Now the question still
lingers, what will happen if no one is bringing in a main course right? So I
decided better safe than sorry. I am going to at least provide main course for
my guests.
I was contemplating between few dishes and finally decided that it will be easier to cook Dry Mee
I was at wits till S came to the rescue; she forwarded me a Betty Saw's recipe (she had not tried it).
Next my kinder friend, GL
told me her mom cooks a mean Dry Mee Siam . G's mom is a fantastic cook and looking at her
recipe, it is way easier than Betty's as now I am really quite desperate for time.
Hubby commented that it
tasted good.
I shall leave Betty's recipe on another day whereby I am not so short of time to experiment after all I love Mee
Cooking this reminds me of
my mother in law's sambal udang. Hers is really good but getting a recipe from
her is tough as she cooks by estimation. Even my sister in law can't attain
that kind of standard.
Well, this still can't
beat my mother in law's. I think I will find a time to go to her house
with my digital scale one of these days.
Next, I wonder whether anyone will be allergy to prawns. Seeing my dad's allergy reaction to prawns last year, now I am very sensitive to who I feed.
Chicken will be the safest choice and I opted for Dry Chicken Curry. hahaha...
Overall, hubby felt that it is okay, taste wise is more towards Indian curry. Definitely not the kind that I was looking for.
So now I have provided the IMPROVED VERSION as below as I was harassed by her and no longer able to post my attempted recipe here.
Since my kiddos can't really eat spicy food, I cooked meatballs pasta for them.
(Photo to come later as the pasta is not done yet)
Thanks S and G's for the recipes!
Now everyone is happy.
Dry chicken Curry
What you need:
600-800g of chicken, chopped (preferably drumsticks, thighs of chicken wings)
What you need for rempah:
Thumb knob of old ginger, peeled and sliced
8-10 shallots, peeled and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and slices
4 buah keras
3 tbsp meat curry powder (Babas Brand is preferred)
1-2 tbsp chili powder (Baba’s Brand is preferred)
Other condiments
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar to taste (optional)
½ cup cooking oil
5-6 curry leaves
Water as needed
1 tbsp sugar to taste (optional)
½ cup cooking oil
5-6 curry leaves
Water as needed
Method:
First blend buah keras, sliced old ginger, shallots and garlic in a food processor until a paste is obtained.
Next add meat curry powder
and chili powder and mix well with the other ingredient paste.
To a mixing bowl, add
chopped chicken pieces and curry paste. Add salt at this moment.
Rub each piece of chicken
with paste until well coated.
Leave to marinate for at
least 20 min.
To cook the dry chicken
curry, first add cooking oil into a heated wok.
Add marinated chicken
pieces into the wok and stir fry until the chicken skin starts to crisp up
slightly.
Add water, 2-3 tbsp at a
time, from the side of the wok and stir-fry until the chicken pieces are nicely
cooked but yet still juicy. Take care not to add too much water at one go as
the sauce should still remain dry and concentrated.
It should take around
20-30 min to cook depending on size of chicken pieces and also flame control.
Take a piece of chicken
and poke with a skewer at the thickest part.
The chicken is ready when
no blood is oozing out from it.
Add curry leaves and stir
fry quickly for another 1-2 min for the leaves to release their aroma.
Adjust the taste of the
thick curry sauce with more salt and sugar if necessary.
Skim off the red oil on
the top of the sauce if necessary.
Dish and serve immediately
with rice and other dishes.
****************************
1kg of prawns, big or small to your preference
What you need for rempah
5-7 buah keras
4-5 large red chilies
10-15 dried chilies
15-20 shallots, peeled
½ tsp toasted belacan powder
Other Condiments
50g asam jawa, rubbed in 100ml water, drained to retain asam water only.
1-2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ cup cooking oil
Sambal Udang
Reference : Cooking for The President
What you need:
1kg of prawns, big or small to your preference
What you need for rempah
5-7 buah keras
4-5 large red chilies
10-15 dried chilies
15-20 shallots, peeled
½ tsp toasted belacan powder
Other Condiments
50g asam jawa, rubbed in 100ml water, drained to retain asam water only.
1-2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ cup cooking oil
Method:
First, soak the dried
chilies in hot water until soften. Remove and discard the seeds and stalks.
Chop the red chilies into
smaller segments. Retain the seeds if you prefer it more spicy.
Using a food processor,
grind the rempah ingredients, starting with the hardest, i.e. buah keras,
followed by peeled shallots, chopped red chilies, soaked dried chilies and
finally toasted belacan powder until a paste is obtained.
Remove the shell and
intestinal tracts of the prawns. Save the shells for other recipes which
require a prawn stock.
To a heated wok, add
cooking oil and fry the prawns until they just turned orange and begin to curl
slightly. Do not overcook. Remove the prawns and set aside but keep the oil in
the wok.
Add blended rempah
ingredients and stir fry until the oil begans to separate from the rempah
again. Add asam water and simmer until the sauce thickens considerably. Add
salt and sugar to season.
Return the fried prawns to
the cooked rempah and toss them quickly to coat well before dishing onto a
plate.
Serve immediately with
rice and other dishes.



I am sure your party is a success with so many delicious dishes you cooked. Looking forward to your recipes.
ReplyDeleteHi Veron,
ReplyDeleteWill do so after this weekend. I have a cake to do tomorrow.
Edith, I's sure the party went well. Your mee siam sounds & looks very scrumptious.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend.
Kristy
Same to you too Kristy and thanks.
DeleteLooking for the photos makes me drooling already! My favourite that that plate of curry chicken and the prawns! Oh, and that mee siam. I must try to learn how to cook mee siam
ReplyDeleteMel, the curry chicken tasted good the next day.
DeleteWow, that's some awesome organising in such short time, Edith. Oh can you share the mee siam recipe? I LOVE mee siam and would love to try making it! I have yet to find it in Perth =(
ReplyDeleteDumpling Love, Let me ask my friend's mom and see whether it is alright for me to publish. Will get back to you soon.
DeleteYou really know your way to your man's heart :) The food you cooked all sound yummy and delicious. Looking forwards to more recipes!
ReplyDeletehahahah... I never thought of it this way. Hope will have more recipes to share in future.
DeleteAll the dishes here are so mouth-watering! Love all that spiciness.
ReplyDeleteEdith, I am sure your guests sure enjoy the party and left your house with satisfied tummy, all your food looks so yummy especially dry mee siam which is my top favourite among the 3 :P.
ReplyDeleteyeah me too, i will go for the mee siam first! i think the curry chicken and sambal prawns are also very delicious to eat with mee siam.
ReplyDeleteas for your question on the yogurt cake, we would prefer to ctick to the recipe we linked but you can modify it. I just made the cake, the three of us, me zoe and joyce have kind of different reviews on the cake, i would think adding a little honey would be nice.