Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Backing off

After a tormenting week, I have made up my mind to back off. Back off from hovering around my son and let him be a little young adult to experiment life. I am going to let him control his own destiny from now onwards.

I wanted to thank all of you who dropped by with your life stories, your experiences and your words of encouragement. It makes the pain less painful, the mind clearer and hopefully I can continue with it with some determination.

I realised that I am not so alone in dealing with such a difficult phrase after all.

Then again, I think my route to parenthood still has a long way to go and at each stage, I learnt something new.

Photobucket

Whatever it is, I pray that he will turn out to be okay and a good person.

I didn't bake any cakes or prepare any special meal on Father's Day as I was totally exhausted after going through that one week ordeal and some cake orders. One good thing that turned out was that this particular cake. I was really happy to get rave review from my client.

Photobucket

So for Father’s Day, we went out for a nice dim sum lunch with my dad on Saturday and caught up with a friend on Sunday.

Boring? Yes but I think I will make that up with hubby another day.

But I did churn out another two batches of ice cream. I reduce the sugar on the durian ice cream and make a batch of raspberry ice cream with some left over frozen raspberry. A mistake, I forgotten to sieve out the puree and thus, it ended up with seeds which my son said he didn’t like it.

Sorry too late for any pictures by the time I had time to post this up, as it was gobbled down by son who apparently loved it - with seeds or without.

Photobucket

Kneading bread is a good outlet for me to let go the inner frustration and thus I baked some Little Butter Buns as an excuse.

This is a very interesting bun recipe as it uses Cardamon powder. The method is also new to me and it was because of this reason I chose this bread. Unfortunately, the instruction isn’t very clear and precise. Like “adding a little flour”, how little is little? I had to use some estimation during the process.

Like any rolls, the texture is soft when it was fresh out of the oven or warm. Hubby commented that the butter filling should be more and I couldn’t disagree on that. Next time, I will indent a bigger hole for more filling.

Photobucket

What I like is that it has this buttery taste like a brioche. It feels heavy but yet it was like a dense bread.

Baking at 200 degrees seems to hot as my first batch got nearly burnt. So next round, I will lower it back to 180 degree instead.

Overall, this isn’t too bad. If you are keen on a new method of bread making, perhaps you are game for this.

I am submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #8 - Bread Seduction (June 2011) hosted by Jasmine from Sweetylicious

Source: Nordic Bakery
Yield : 20 buns @ approx 45g each

What you need:

250ml milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
85g castor sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cardamon powder
7g dried yeast
500g bread flour
75g unsalted butter, softened

Filling (I will increase another 20% of the filling next round)

50g unsalted butter, softened
25g castor sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten (glazing)

Method:

Heat milk in a large saucepan until lukewarm. Whisk the egg with a little warm water and then pour the egg mixture slowly into the warm milk whisking as you go along. Add sugar, salt and cardamon to the milk/egg mixture. Mix well.

Mix the yeast and flour together. Add a little of the flour mixture to the saucepan (I used approx 100g) and whisk well to incorporate lots of air into the dough. (might be too much flour as I find that there isn't air pocket that I saw - so reduce this to 50g and whisk well).

Continue to add the flour mixture first by whisk and then by wooden spoon if it get thick. (I used a balloon whisk and then a k beater to do the job).

Add butter and knead into a dough, making sure the butter are fully incorporated.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins or elastic and no longer sticky.

Return the dough to the bowl and cover with clean towel and leave to proof for 1 hour.

Punch down and knead it for a few mins. Divide into 20 balls approx 45 - 47g each. Shaped into a ball on a baking sheet.

Proof for another 30 mins.

Preheat oven to 200 degree (I will use 180 degrees).

Prepare the fillings of adding the sugar to the butter. Mix well.

After 30 mins, indent a hole on the bun with your thumb. Add in the fillings and glaze with the beaten eggs.

Bake for 10 mins or till golden brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. The birthday cake is amazing. Very professional. Theresa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin