Thursday, October 14, 2010

Healthy option

Yea I am done with supervising my son. For today, he sat for his last paper for Final year examination I seriously hope that he did put in his best effort and be serious during the examination.

Since yesterday, he was already looking forward to today. I don't know whether he is a cool dude or couldn't be bother attitude but he is definitely not stress over the examination despite not doing well for his mid year. Going through his assessment books, I found out that many of them are not really fully attempted despite me urging him on to try it.

Was it my error that since young, we focus more on play rather than studying? After all, it was only after his Primary 6 Prelim, that I hired a tutor for him? Thus there is no responsible to do assessment? Have we done wrong to let them have a good childhood?

Just a moment ago, I was on the phone with my client, deciding on the theme for a little 10 years old boy's birthday cake. When his mom asked him what design he wanted for his birthday cake. His response was "Anti homework".

I can't help but wonder ....

Anyway, cookie jar is empty and I am sure my boy will be walking round the house and asking what can he eat.

Thus I decided on healthier choice by using oatmeal and raisin. I just couldn't resist throwing in a handful of chocolate chip as well as I really have way too much chips.

So here is our Oatmeal, Raisin and Chocolate chip cookie. If you like chewy cookie like me, this will be the one.

Nevertheless, I am pretty pleased how these turned out. At least all in uniform shape but I will definitely need to buy a smaller ice cream scoop so that my cookies can be more dainty looking.

Enjoy.

Photobucket

Source: Joy of Baking

What you nee:


226g unsalted butter
210g light brown sugar
50g castor sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
195g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
260g rolled oats
140g raisins
100g chocolate chips

Method

Preheat oven to 177 deg.

Cream butter and sugar till cream and smooth (2 mins)

Add in the eggs and beat after each addition.

Add in the vanilla extract.

Mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.

Add into the egg mixture and beat till incorporated.

Stir in the oats, chocolate and raisins.

Using an ice cream scoop, place batter apart on a cookie tray.

Bake for 15 min or more or till golden brown.

Cool on tray slightly and tranfer to cooling rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

  1. Congrats to your son finally completing the PSLE exam! One less worry I guess. :) I have tried this recipe before...have to say it's one of those oatmeal cookies recipe I always turn to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, an "anti-Homework" cake. That would really get you thinking. :) I am sure your boy appreciates the handful of chocolate chips u threw into ur cookies. i know i would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HBS, he sat for his PSLE last year but even though he is in Sec 1 now, I am still stress over him as he cannot be left alone to manage his own revision. haiz.

    Crutabakes, yes I am sure he did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, same sentiment on the level of pressure these days children have to face.
    My boy just finished his PSLE and it was like running a long race. Physically & mentally challenging! On the gesture of baking something nice for them really provides our support & love along the journey. I'm sure your boy will certainly appreciates it.
    Healthy cookies made me wanna made some for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a recipe that I have always wanted! Thanks for posting this , Edith! I shall be making this very soon! And I am amazed that a 10 year old is able to pick 'anti homework' as his birthday theme! They grow up too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this healthy option cookies! Can eat without quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to reward your son's hard work for his exams! The best thing is that this cookies are home baked and in a healthier version too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edith,
    You've set me thinking about "play rather than study" part. I prefer my kids to learn through play but of late, I realised DD1 is not too enthusiastic about her schoolwork. Maybe it has got something to do with her character to, I don't know. Her MT results are bad, so much so that I'm thinking if I should start her on some tutoring courses.

    I'm shortlisting this recipe as I prefer chewy cookies over crispy ones. Would love to try this one day but I haven't been cooking/baking alot lately as I'm trying to spend more quality time with the kids (not on doing schoolwork though).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith, finally the stress is over! the cookies look very good, make me wanna bake too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Un bellissimo blog ricco di interessanti ricette, ciao a presto

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr pineapple man, yes, yah for him. Been hooked to his psp ever since. hahaha.

    Hearty Bakes, these days school going children are really pitiful. No life. I just received a memo from school that next year my P2 girl going P3 will have to stay till 4pm DAILY!!!!

    Shirley, actually I can't help to wonder why.

    Ellie, yes eat with guilt is the way to go. hahah.

    Zoe, I like to do homebaked so that I can control the sugar level. My son is a sugar high baby and that is very scary esp when he is ADHD.

    BM, so yours too? Seriously I wonder whether my theory of learn thru play applies to modern children of ours.

    Jess, stress not over yet coz No 2 will be sitting for hers next two weeks!

    Thanks yummy koh.

    Thanks Stefanie for dropping by. Do try the recipe and let me have your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought in modern days, kids learn through play, but maybe I'm wrong. Still trying to find out what's the best for them.

    I made these, they're great! And I made another batch with matcha! Yummy too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin