Monday, March 01, 2010

Heat wave

Over the months, I have gotten enquiries asking me why my recipes category leads to a blank link. It prompted me to get off my comfort zone and focus on this new assignment. Thus I have been painstakingly reposting some of my lost blogs bit by bit. For some, it is lost forever.

It was such a tedious job to trace the date, the recipe and pieces of my life back. I also regrouped my photos by the date rather than in one whole mess. Thus for some existing blog post, the picture become non existent and I have to re link them back. I reckoned that I better do it now that later.

Anyway, my new helper has been good (for now). At least she is in auto gear and doesn't really need much supervision. Thus, I am able to have some time for this little project of mine.

The heat wave also didn't do good for me as I was constantly having migraine attacks. I didn't really want to take too much medication as I am already on antihistamine often for my rashes but sometime the pain become so intense that it is horrible having to drive out under the hot sun to pick up my kids.

This is the time whereby I wish my kids are old enough and independent enough to make their way home on their own.

Anyway, with such hot weather, having ice cream will be the most ideal to cool down the body. Since my basil plant is blooming, it is the best time to nip some to make Thai Basil Ice Cream.

I have chosen this recipe as it uses invert sugar as one of the component. It is supposedly to reduce the "ice" feel in the ice cream.

For my trial, I feel that it is still icy. Perhaps because I didn't chill my ice cream bowl as there wasn't enough space in the freezer and I went by the manual method of chill, whisk and chill. This is a unique tasting ice cream. Either you hate it or love it.

A refreshing change to the usual ones we had.

Photobucket

What you need:

360g whole milk
360g heavy cream
25g fresh thai basil, chopped
125g granulated sugar
37g light corn syrup
10 large egg yolks
20g invert sugar

Method:

Put the milk and cream in a pan and bring to a simmer over med high heat.

Add the basil, turn off the heat and infuse for 30 mins.

Mix thoroughly with an immersion blender and puree the basil. The milk should turn pale green.

Strain through a fine strainer, pushing down on the solids.

Set up an ice bath

Return the infused milk to the pan and add the 2 tbsp granulated sugar and the corn syrup.

Bring to a simmer over med heat.

Whisk the yolks with the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the invert sugar in a med bowl.

When the milk is simmering slowly whisk about 1 cup into the yolks for about 1 min to temper them. Keep the pan off the heat while you do this).

Then scrape the yolks into the pan and cook, stirring pretty much constantly until the mixture reached 180 deg F.

Keep an eye on the colour of the foam on the surface, when it turns the same colour as the mixture you are very close to the right temp.

Strain into a med bowl and set into the ice bath. Chill completely, stirring often.

Then cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight for the flavours to mature.

Mix again with an immersion blender then freeze in an ice cream maker.

Freeze for at least 2 hours.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. what is inverted sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is mixture of glucose and fructose. Easily avail in baking supply shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! Very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my mom will love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! Very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin