Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Plans delayed

Last Saturday night, I had plans to bake on Sunday. Spending a lazy Sunday together as a family sounded good for me then especially hubby was away for a good 10 days.

Woke up and as we were eating our late breakfast, hubby said, "Shall we watch a movie?" It sounded good, after all, we heard so much good review on Avatar and it sure been a long time that we watch a movie as a family.

The idea of watching it in 3D added the thrill as well. As I have watch 3D films before, I was keen for the effect.

We have only an hour or so to prepare and off we went. We didn't even have time for lunch as the movie starts at 12:15. Grabbed a few hotdogs to fill us up so that we can watch the movie without a growling tummy as it was about 2 hours 40min movie.

I was actually a little worried that little princess won't be able to sit through it but I was glad that she did. She is definitely a big girl now.

After putting on the 3D glasses for half hour or so, my eyes began to tear. Though I enjoyed the movie, I was also feeling uncomfortable. Should I ever watch this movie again, definitely it will be in 2D.

Overall, even my helper who doesn't understand English and us enjoyed it. It is definitely something different.

As son kept reminding me that the cookie jar is empty and I too wanted to try out a Chocolate Fudge Cake that supposedly to be close to a reputable one.

After completing my Cupcake Fantasies projects, I decided to just in the kitchen to get everything done once and for all. I didn’t know what type of cookies to bake until I found an extra bottle of oats sitting at the top cabinet.

Now I wonder why “this woman” kept it all the way up. You won’t believe how many bottles of Nutella we have in the house right now. (perhaps it is difficult for her to tell us that there is already some in the house and please don’t buy).

I attempted Chocolate/Peanut Butter Chip and Oat Cookies first. It is an extremely easy recipe and the cookies tasted great. My babies love them.

Photobucket

I am going to bake another round for our CNY as I want to clear that extra bottle of oats.

What you need:

200g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
240g butter, softened
70g castor sugar
180g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
240g rolled oats
300g chocolate chip and peanut butter chips

Method

Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Lined baking tray.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt.

Mixed in the oats, chocolate chip and peanut butter chips. Set aside.

Cream the butter with the sugars till light and fluffy.

Add in the egg one at a time. Beat till well incorporated.

Mix in the flour mixture till well blended.

Shape the ball to the size of a 20 cents coin.

Baked till golden brown.

Cool of rack.

***************

As for the Chocolate Fudge cake. Years ago, I was given a recipe that is pretty similar to the reputable one. Unfortunately it died together with a friend.

I didn’t have a hard copy as I never would have expected that. Anyway, I am moving on and still continuing to search for THE recipe. This is definitely a very tall cake.

I haven’t been frosting a cake that tall for years. The fudge sets pretty quickly thus I didn’t get a nice finish or perhaps I omitted 50ml water less.

Photobucket

Personally I think this recipe can be improved. The cake is soft but I feel a little dry. But it does go well with the fudge but I will have to cut down on the sugar as I find it a tad too sweet.

Adapted from a forum

What you need:

5 egg yolk
100 ml corn oil
75 ml water
150 g optima flour or sponge mix
60 g Softasilk flour or Hong Kong flour
30 g cocoa powder
50 g cooking chocolate (chocolate dark couverture from Poon Huat)
½ tbsp cornflour
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tbsp chocolate emulco
1 tsp brown coloring (sarsaparilla)

Ingredient B

½ tsp cream of tartar
5 egg white
125 g fine sugar

Ingredient C – Chocolate Fudge Topping

550 ml water
1 tsp instant jelly
150 g fine sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder
60 g hoen kwe flour
100 g cooking chocolate (chopped)
2 tbsp chocolate emulco
1 square cake tin 8”x8”x3” line bottom with grease paper ( do not grease cake tin )

Method

Warm oil and add in cooking chocolate. Stir till chocolate melts.

Combine the rest of ingredient A and pour into melted chocolate/oil. Mix well. Put aside.

Beat ingredient B using high speed until stiff.

Fold ingredient B into ingredient A, 1/3 at a time. Fold well.

Pour into cake tin and bake at 350F/180C for 40-45 minutes. Cool cake on a rack.

Cut cake horizontally into 2 layers.

Method for Chocolate Fudge

Boil water, sugar, instant jelly, salt and chocolate emulco.

In a separate bowl, combine hoen kwe flour and cocoa powder with a little water ( water from 550 ml). Mix well.

When water boils, remove from heat. Pour hoen kwe mixture into water and mix well with a whisk.

Return the whole combination to the stove ( slow fire ). Keep whisking until it’s bubbly (boiling), thick and shiny ( about 2-3 minutes).

Remove from heat. Pour in the cooking chocolate and whisk well till the chocolate melted. Use immediately.

Spread a layer of chocolate fudge topping on top of one layer of cake.

Cover with second layer of cake. Coat the whole cake with the topping.

Let it cool before refrigerate for 2 hours. This is my first time frosting a 4 layers cake.

Not too balance isn't it?

Photobucket
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. Hi may I know whether the cookies are crispy or chewy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm....Chocolates and butter, too much is never enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a crispy cookie. But if you prefer a chewy texture, underbaked it.

    Quinn, yes you are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the movie was good? Great, shall bring my dd to see it:D :D
    wish one day we and our princesss meet up... don't forget to bring your yummy cookies :D
    Happy belated New Year!
    (and CNY to come... yeah!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like this cake taste better as it "aged". Guess the fudge moisturised the cake. hehehe.

    G, yea, come over and we go yum cha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, may I check with you when mentioned "cream", is it necessary to use a mixer? or can we use a spatula? thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be good to use a mixer but if you don't have, a whisk will do but needed some arm power.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith, thanks for your advice..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith

    I would like to ask how to cream till light and fluffy, I am a new baker, can't seems to get it right. How long does it take?

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary you are welcome.

    Clare, it depends on how powerful your mixer is, thus I can't tell you how long you should cream but for rough gaudge if you dip your finger into the butter mixture, and you don't feel the sugar grain, this should be okay.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin