Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?

I started the month of April with a challenge.

The cookie jars have been left empty for quite some time. Though I longed to bake cookies but I am just too lazy to roll and cut.

As most of the dough that I know needed a chill period. This breaks my momentum for baking. Thus my kids have been feeding off the commercial ones. It is not easy to find one that is low in sugar and fats and yet taste delicious.

With my younger ones munching so much these days, her little thighs and butt are showing sign of "prospers". Thus mommy better do something about it to create a healthy diet.

After seeing how Jamie Oliver prepared a bowl of muesli that my hubby adores, I decided I will grab a bag of rolled oats to start a healthy breakfast routine for him. Yes, he too is showing sign of a near middle aged man.

Enough said, I take this opportunity to join in the fun from Sweet & Simple Bakes Monthly Challenge.

It's sure been a long time that I last participated in challenges even though it is not that many. Perhaps it is sign that my life is slowly falling into places.

I love this cookies, it definitely tasted a wholesome goodness in them. I cut down just a little sugar as I added in more fruits than chocolate chips, the sweetness is just right for us.

Thanks Rosie and Maria for sharing this wonderful recipe. Thumbs up.
Photobucket

What you need:

110g (4oz) butter, softened
100g caster sugar
110g (4oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g (9oz) porridge oats (rolled oats)
110g (4oz) self-raising flour
1 level tsp salt
110g (4oz) chocolate chips, raisins or chopped nuts

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degree.

Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft.

Add the sugars and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.

Add the egg, water and vanilla extract while still beating.

Reduce the speed and gently mix in the oats, flour, salt and raisins to form a dough.

Using your hands, roll the dough into walnut sized balls and place slightly apart on two baking trays.

Bake in the oven for 12-25 minutes or until light golden brown but still slightly soft in the centre.

Allow to cool on the trays for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Print Friendly and PDF

22 comments:

  1. Your cookies turned out delish!

    Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us in our next bake.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith, I am SO pleased you took the opportunity to join in the fun at S&SB and bake some cookies :0)

    Your cookies look scrummy - well done and love the idea of extra fruit added mmmm..

    Thanks so much for taking part this month at S&SB and I do hope you will join us again next month.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao ! Even if our lifes are all going to pieces your cookies are a wonder !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies have turned out so well! Looks mouth-watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look lovely golden and brown! I actually feared - looking at the title of your post - that the cookies had all been eaten before you had the chance to take a photo... lol... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats a lovely photo. the cookies look delicious! (and now that song "who stole the cookie..." is stuck in my head!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popped over to your blog from Rosie's. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This bake challenge is fun, and see you at the next challenge. Your cookie look yum. Bet your kids cleaned out that jar...

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi edith,

    i would like to ask what texture of the cookie does this recipe yield? e.g like chewy but crispy or soft?
    hope to get your reply

    thanks !

    elis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rosie for setting up this challenge. So far your chosen recipe that I tried twice are awesome.

    Hi Natalia, Uma, Blond duck, Jerri - thanks.

    Junglefrog- you have got a beautiful blog. Love it.

    Arundati - well said.

    Ilona - you said it. hahaha

    Eli - this cookie supposed to have a cripsy and chewy texture. I baked it longer so that I can get a much cripier ones as my kids love crunchy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Edith,

    May I know if I should use unsalted butter or salted butter? Thanks!

    Regards,
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jac, for all my baking, I used unsalted. If you like your cookie to have a tinge of saltiness, add a tsp.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi edith,

    i have tried the cookies and they turn out great. they are crunchy when it first came out of the oven but when cooled they turn a bit non crunchy so is it like that?
    but they still taste great (:

    elis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elis,

    Yes, if you like it more crispy, baked it longer but it will still turned soft after a day or two coz of the fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi edith ,

    okay thanks for your sharing..and the cookies are fabulous =)another healthy recipe found!

    elis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Rosie for setting up this challenge. So far your chosen recipe that I tried twice are awesome.

    Hi Natalia, Uma, Blond duck, Jerri - thanks.

    Junglefrog- you have got a beautiful blog. Love it.

    Arundati - well said.

    Ilona - you said it. hahaha

    Eli - this cookie supposed to have a cripsy and chewy texture. I baked it longer so that I can get a much cripier ones as my kids love crunchy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This bake challenge is fun, and see you at the next challenge. Your cookie look yum. Bet your kids cleaned out that jar...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jac, for all my baking, I used unsalted. If you like your cookie to have a tinge of saltiness, add a tsp.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look lovely golden and brown! I actually feared - looking at the title of your post - that the cookies had all been eaten before you had the chance to take a photo... lol... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thats a lovely photo. the cookies look delicious! (and now that song "who stole the cookie..." is stuck in my head!!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin