Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A long time friend

I have known VZ many years ago during my party days.  Time seems to stand still for her as she still looks bloody gorgeous after all these years!  God is definitely very very kind to her.  In fact, she never age at all.

Love that beautiful smile and bubbly personality of hers that never failed to brighten up my day with her around.

The last when she was in town, we didn't have a chance to meet up but I am glad that this time round, we did.

Since she has a bottomless tummy, this spread is prepared specially for her.

An interesting recipe that I found on a book that I loaned from the library, I immediately taken to it as I have everything on hand this week.  Very interesting baking method as well.  Glad that VZ likes this Coffee and Ricotta Marbled cake.


The perks of having friends that bake, I can always tap on to their inspiration.  Like this The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie that GL from Flour Away posted on her facebook.  Haiz.... every now and then, someone will proclaim that they found the best ever chocolate chip cookie.  For me, it is up to you to judge whether this is the final "The best ever chocolate chip cookie" or not.


Let's say, my son is going to go crazy over these again as he loves cookies with chocolate chip.

Another recipe from GL's inspiration was the Thick Chewy Oatmeal Cookies.  This one is me that will go crazy with as I always love such combination.  I omitted the nuts as my girl doesn't like it.  


Preparing these two recipes also created a great bonding moments with my girl.  She is now getting quite an expert in weighing ingredients out and identifying them as well.  She even can tell the difference between baking powder and baking soda and not add them blindly to the flour.

Though I know that ZY has sweet tooth but just in case, her taste bud changed for the day, I added in a savoury one.  Surprisingly, she also liked this Cheddar Cheese with Dill Muffin.  


Personally I felt I should have added either more cheese or salt to it.  Overall texture is still soft though.  

I had an awesome afternoon with ZY.  I wish her success in her new job as well as fulfilling her dream.  Hugs to you my dear friend and see you soon.

Despite a wonderful day, I also experienced a heart ache.  I chipped my induction cooker! Don't ask me how it happened for I am clueless but as helper was cleaning up, she wiped off that chip from the cooker.  Is it a quality issue with this brand?

Then I spent whatever time I had today to troubleshoot a wireless problem with my computer.  After getting a sore back, I finally managed to get it up and running again for girl to complete her e learning for the day.

So overall, today is still good.  Trying not to think of my chipped induction cooker though ... ouch.

Source: Dan Lepard


Coffee and Ricotta Marbled Cake 



What you need:

2 tbsp ground coffee
125g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
200g plain flour
150g ricotta
2 large eggs
2½ tsp baking powder
25ml Marsala or dark rum

Method:

Line the base and sides of a 17cm long loaf tin or similar with non-stick baking paper and heat the oven to 180 ºC.

Put the coffee in a cup, stir in 25ml of boiling water and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.

Beat the butter and sugar until soft and light, then measure the flour into a small bowl, spoon about a quarter in with the butter mixture and beat until smooth.

Beat in the ricotta, then the eggs, one at a time.

Sift in the baking powder and the remaining flour, and beat lightly.

Divide the mixture in half and beat the coffee through one half and the Marsala through the other.

Spoon the mixture in alternate blobs into the tin, tap the tin firmly on the worktop to knock out any air bubbles, swirl the batter gently with a skewer and bake for 50-60 minutes.

********************
Source: Savoury Sweet Life


The BEST Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield : 48 pcs

What you need:

230g salted butter, softened
100g sugar
280g brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
347g plain flour
¾ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp baking powder
340g semi-sweet chocolate chips


Method:

Preheat oven to 180ºC.  Lined baking sheet.

Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until it is nice and fluffy.

Add both eggs and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes.

Sift baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour and add into cookie batter.  Beat till fully incorporated.

Finally add chocolate chips until well distributed. The cookie batter should be somewhat thick.

Drop about 2 tablespoons of dough or use a medium cookie scoop and plop the batter onto a baking sheet.

Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are nice and golden brown.

Remove from heat and allow the cookies to stay on the cookie sheet for an additional 2 minutes.

Transfer to cooling rack to cool further.

Store in airtight container.

*******************************
Source: Smitten Kitchen

Thick Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
Yield : 24 pcs

What you need:

115g butter, softened
125g light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
95g plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
120g rolled oats
120g raisins
65g walnuts, chopped (optional)

Method:

Preheat oven to 175°C.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. 

In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture.

Stir in the oats, raisins and walnuts, if using them.

Chill the dough and then scoop it onto a sheet.

Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes.  

Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.

*********************
Cheddar Cheese Muffins

What you need:

250g plain flour
1 tbsp castor sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
60g salted butter, melted
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
200g Cheddar cheese,cut small cube

Method

Preheat oven to 190 deg.  Grease a muffin tray.

Stir and toss the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.  Set aside.

Whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter and herb until smooth.

Add in cheese and whisk till mixed well.  

Add to the dry ingredients and stir just till blended.

Scoop into tray till 3/4 and bake for 20 mins or till golden brown.

Cool in tin for a 3 mins and remove .

Serve with either butter or cream.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin