Sunday, July 01, 2012

So behind time


At long last I finally found some ME time to surf and blog read. I realised that I had been in an underground world for the past months. As I was surfing, I came across this Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes 北海道牛奶蛋糕. I think I once bought this cuppy at a food fair but back then, I simply had no idea it was so popular and also I wasn't impressed with the texture. I pinned it down to the bakery.


Anyway, I love chiffon. Even though my past experiences weren't really 100% successful, my very first birthday cakes that I baked for my two kids were chiffon. So chiffon held a very special place in my heart.


Since I don't know when I will ever visit Hokkaido, or to Japan/Taiwan, I am not going to wait till that day to savour these little cuppies (was it originated from there?).


Why wait, I am going to bake myself some! There are a few recipes around but I decided to choose Nasi Lemak Lover's as hers looks very presentable as well as gotten great reviews.





I don't know why, but my cream wasn’t apparent. It kind of disappeared into the cake after chilling. For mine, it is a little on the dry side. I strongly suspected that I might have over baked it.

Well still it was a happy ending because my little one was helping herself to two servings if I didn't stop her.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I am gathering feedback for a bloggers' get together.  If you are keen, please leave me a comment at this page.

Sorry, due to good responses,  the bloggers' get together invitation is now closed.   I am sure I will organise another one soon.
So how was your weekend? 

What you need:
Yield: 18 cupcakes

6 egg yolks
40g sugar
70g corn oil

120g milk
140g cake flour
6 egg whites
50g sugar

Filling
120g dairy whipping cream
20g sugar
2 tsp instant custard powder

Icing sugar, for dusting

Method

Pre-heat oven to 170C.



Arrange paper liners on baking tray.

Hand whisk egg yolk and sugar till pale in colour.

Add in corn oil and milk, mix well.

Sift in cake flour, stir to combine.

Beat egg white until foamy, gradually add sugar, and continue beat till soft peak form.

Take 1/3 of egg white and use a hand whisk to mix into egg yolk batter.

Fold in the balance egg white with a spatula till well combine.

Scoop batter into pre-arranged paper liners to about ¾ full.

Bake for 20-25 mins at middle rack.

Beat whipping cream with sugar till firm and stiff (over a bowl of iced water).

Add in custard powder, mix well.

Pipe custard cream into cupcake and dust with icing sugar.

Refrigerated before consume.

Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. Edith , these cupcakes look pretty delicious ! Will give 5 stars for the presentation ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith , these cupcakes look pretty delicious ! Will give 5 stars for the presentation ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith , these cupcakes look pretty delicious ! Will give 5 stars for the presentation ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also wonder if these cupcakes hv been around for a long time..i only see them seeling at the bakeries here very recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice presentation and thanks for your shoutout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have tried delicious hokkaido cakes at Polar puffs and Cakes recently :) bought at the Bugis outlet, not sure if all outlets have but do give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin