Tuesday, January 03, 2012

A New Begining.

2012 started off beautifully, we actually made a trip down to the MBS to view fireworks. Far too lazy to lug a big camera, so this was taken off a point and shoot.


Then my naggy cold started acting up again and I couldn't sleep well for the last few days. It got so bad to the stage that I couldn't breathe.

It seems like I am not the only one having this symptom. Some of my friends are also like that. Stuffy nose, and sometime runny cold.

Actually I finally went to the GP after trying cold tablets for a few times. The medication only gives me short term relief.

According to the doc, I am having an allergy because of the weather. Plus I am having a slight temperature. Perhaps that explains why I am feeling a little less energetic.

With the kids back in school, I am finally getting peaceful mornings. Yea! and that allows me to rest.

As hubby is leaving town for a week, I better make my Bak Kwa and let him be the taster before I mass produce.

I tried out two recipes. I was actually disappointed by recipe A as I went around hunting for the red wine dreg with no luck. Luckily mom has some in her fridge. The taste is more like lup cheong (Chinese Sausage) according to my son.

The second recipe, I took it from Tina's kitchen and it turned out beautifully. I modified it a little though.


This is definitely a keeper as it is close to the real McCoy.

I must remember to roll really thinly when I go into my mini “production”.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my reader for staying with me the last one year, taking your precious time to leave me notes of encouragement and motivation. I truly appreciate all your love and concern.

Going forward, I will try to change my perspective as a mother and better manage my expectation and most of all, be kinder to myself.

I hope you will see a happier and a more positive me.

Hopefully in the second quarter of the year, I am able to share more interesting recipes with you all.

God bless.


What you need:

1 kg ground pork

Marinate:

1½ tbsp fish sauce
1½ tbsp soya sauce
160g sugar
1/8 tsp 5 spiced powder
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp white pepper
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp rose wine
2 tsp red wine dreg 红糟

Method:

Season ground pork with the marinate and leave in the fridge overnight or at least 4 hours

Place one sheet of baking paper and two dollop of meat on it. Place another sheet of baking paper on it.

Roll as thin as possible.

Heat Happy Call Pan. Place the rolled out meat (with paper) into the pan.

Cover and let it cook for a min.

Remove top paper and flip the meat over, removing the bottom paper as well.

Slowly let it cook, flipping often to avoid charred.

Cook till has a nice glossy finish.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Edith, this looks really good! I am bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, your bak kwa looks good. I made chicken bak kwa as well and that turned out good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, may i know what is rose wine or where to get it? can you pls help to post a pic? the bak kwa looks SUPERB!

    THANK YOU!
    chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!
    Hope you are feeling better now. My family is not feeling well right now too, me included! What a way to start off the New Year! :o(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year - lance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Edith and yes, hope you do get some rest whilst the kids are in school. And what ... you are making your own bak kwa! Are you cooking this over a stove? Also curious as to what a "happy call pan" is? Looks good though and reminds me of the bak kwa I would get in KL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley, try it and see whether need improvement to match the real one.

    tina, yes I want to try chicken version. Must remember to buy chicken in my next grocery shopping.

    Hi Cloe, Rose wine also Mei Kuai luo. Easily found in supermarket.

    kitchen flavours, thanks am on antibiotic right now. Speedy recovery to you.

    Aloha Lance, Happy New Year to you too. Long time no see. How's the going. Still surf alot?




    Jo said...
    Happy New Year Edith and yes, hope you do get some rest whilst the kids are in school. And what ... you are making your own bak kwa! Are you cooking this over a stove? Also curious as to what a "happy call pan" is? Looks good though and reminds me of the bak kwa I would get in KL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin