Monday, January 16, 2012

Going to be a busy week

This week starts a busy hectic for the whole of 2012.

Firstly, my daughter is embarking on her compulsory CCA in school. Though she knows how to swim (taught by her dad), she needs to go through formal training to attain her certification. Actually I am not sure how useful these certificates will be for her in the future.

Then it also starts with all the tuition going full blast. Actually I had a very interesting conversation with SC over the weekend. A new friend I got to know via E.

As much as I am not in favour of letting my kids going for tuitions but I did it. Reason was not so much for academic achievement but rather for self confidence.

You see, my girl is not on the mid range learning scales. We accepted the fact that she might be slow in learning but starting from late P2, I can see that she is very timid in attempting her homework. She has a fear of making mistakes.

After a year with several tuition agencies, we noticed a sense of triumph from her. Out of the 4 tuition classes she attended, she shows improvement in her creative writing and especially her Maths.

She is now a much happier child. These days, I can see the drive and motivation she gets from these subjects.

Anyway, I told her that she can stops all these classes if she feels that she cannot cope with it and this is what she said : "Mom, I can do it."

As for my son, he is already very much an independent kid. I no longer need to ferry him to and fro from school.

Now what have I been up to today? I wanted to start my cookie baking but then I realised that I ran out of some ingredients and had to do a trip down to the supermarket.

With us taking an early dinner tonight, I decided to hold on to my cookie baking and to focus on our dinner.

Been procrastinating for nearly a month I think on this recipe. I love Char Siew and the only stall that I patronise now is from Toa Payoh. His char siew is lean and juicy.




As for my experiment with this recipe using Happy Call Pan, I think this is relatively an easy recipe. As long as you gave enough time for the marinade, this won't go wrong.



Also I used a very lean pork fillet for this. Should have opted for more fatty ones.

What you need:

500g pork fillet
2½ tbsp Hoisin Sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp soya sauce
1 tbsp rose wine
½ tsp 5 spice powder
¼ tsp salt
pepper

Glaze

1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oil

Method

Marinate pork for 2 hours

Heat up the pan for 1 min, place in the pork and some marinate (about 1/2)

Cook the pork with lid close for about 5 mins

Open the lid to manually flip the pork and continue to let it cook with lid close not tight (i.e magnet not closed up)

Slowly cook the charsiew and check now and then (about every 1-2 mins) till the sauce dries up and meat starts to charred. Can add in more sauce to hasten the browning process
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Edith, I really do not know how you manage to juggle everything and still come up with fab creations. Love the char siew and am drooling at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, perhaps God makes women clever in multi tasking? hehehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh! Your Char Siew sure makes me drool!!! I wan to try this recipe when i get some pork in the wet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellena, get a little more fatty. I think will taste even better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin