Monday, January 23, 2012

新年快乐,恭喜发财

祝大家 新年快乐, 万事如意.

Due to all our hectic schedules, it is tough to see one another often. Take for example my uncles and aunties and first cousins. I only get a chance to see them during special occassions. Thus I looked forward to Lunar New Year because we finally get to catch up.

For friends too, like my college classmates, we only meet up once a year. Actually we tried to meet other times but with kids' school, tuitions, and extra cirrculum, getting together is really tough.

Ever since my paternal grandma passed on, my dad and uncles take turn to host the gathering.

This year, it is my 4th uncle's turn. The last we were there was two years ago when my first cousin got married.

Though ours is not a huge family, having pot luck becomes the norm now since all of us had grown up and have our own family. This idea eased the burden of the elders having to cook up a storm for the whole entire clan.

Thus for my contribution, this year, I had Fried Nian Gao Rolls, something that I longed to do and finally done it. Was pleased to know that it was a big hit at the party.





Next I also tried Fruit Spring Rolls. It is something special. I think next time I will get pineapple instead of replacing it with blue jam, for I got injured and got a burnt on my finger due the oil splattering.





Yes what a day to have my finger burnt. BTW, I am submitting the above to Aspiring Bakers #15: Auspicious Dishes for CNY (January 2012) hosted by Wen of Wen's Delight.

I also prepared Roast Pork. as well. The taste was good this time round but because of the huge slab of meat. I didn’t manage to crisp it. I will take the advice from my uncle for my next attempt. (sorry no picture)


Thanks to hubby for lugging back a bigger Happy Call Pan for me. You are an angel! Smuack.

I celebrate my 46th birthday today as well. A special treat from my little 10 years old. She actually baked me muffins for my birthday! I was totally amazed by her capability.





The muffins turned out awesome, soft and fluffy. Definitely warmed my heart by her effort.

Thank you baby!

Fruits Spring Roll
Source: Auspicious Delicacies of CNY by Squall Chin

What you need:

8 pcs spring roll skin
4 small bananas sliced into half lengthwise
pineapple (chopped)
Marshmallows (I used mini ones)

Method

Set banana, pineapples and marshmallow in the centre of the spring roll skin.

Roll up as in popiah method.

Heat oil and deep fry till golden brown.

****************
Fried Nian Gao Roll

What you need:


Yam, cut into lengthwise strip. Steam.
Sweet Potatoes, cut into lengthwise strip. Steam.
Nian gao, cut into lengthwise strip
Spring Roll Skin (small)

Method

Set the yam, sweet potato and nian gao.

Wrap tight with the spring roll skin.

Deep fried till golden brown.

Serve.
Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. gong xi fa cai and happy birthday to you, edith!! i'm impressed to learn that your daughter can bake so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Edith!
    I love fried nian gao too, especially those prepared by my late mum! Your fruits spring rolls look tempting and special ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy CNY to you and your family! And Happy belated birthday to you too :) It must be the best gift to you that your girl can bake you special muffin on your birthday, very sweet & clever of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, Happy Birthday! Those muffins your daughter baked must be the best birthday 'cake' ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 新年快乐, Edith and Happy birthday too! I see your genes in your daughter now! The muffins definitely looked very beautiful! Good idea to fry nian gao! Looks like you had lots of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Edith

    happy belated birthday to you!
    agree that your daughter has inherited the cooking genes from u! btw, would like to ask you about the fried nian gao. may i know if the nian gao used is the soft one or those that r already hardened? thks
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday and Gong Hei Fatt Choi to you, Edith! Those muffins must have been delicious full of your daughter's love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet of your daughter! I wish you good health and happiness. Happy Dragon Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks lena,quizzine, DG, Happy Homebaker, Passionate About Baking,
    octopusmum, Small Small Baker and Dumpling Love for your birthday and New year greetings.

    Yes this is definitely the best bday cake I get. Main ingredient: FULL OF LOVE.

    Octopusmum, the nian gao I used are those that steamed in banana leaves. Not the shanghai nian gao.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Edith

    thks for the reply. sorry to be unclear in my query. my mom/mil would usually keep the nian gao until it hardened and then they would slice them up before deep frying with egg/flour mixture. to make this, do i need to also keep the nian gao until it hardens or just use it at its soft stage? thks
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to you. Your little girl is brilliant making these little birthday muffins for you! You are a lucky mum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Octopusmum, it might be easier if it had been kept til harden to cut. Mine wasn't freshly steamed so it is not that soft neither was it solid hard as it had been chilled.

    Zoe, thanks. Indeed I felt bless to have a little girl who is so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yumm yumm muffins! Gong xi gong xi, 发大财!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Edith

    tks much! i had never fried nian gao before so am wondering if the hard nian gao would turn soft when deep fried...would give this recipe a go cause the combi looks v interesting! regards octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Honey Boy.

    Octopusmum, let me know whether you like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Edith

    i made these yesterday finally. but the crispiness did not last. the skin turned soft about 30 mins after i took them out from the wok. any tips on how to make the crispiness last? it was my first time deep frying sth so not sure if i done the right things...
    thks
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin