Sunday, October 07, 2012

Getting aquainted

Time flies, looking back, I have been into blogging since 2005 and had organised quite a few bloggers' get together.   I enjoyed tremendously in meeting bloggers that I have been following.   It is always nice to put a face to a blog that you have been visiting and broaden up our social circle, especially for homemakers.

The greatest joy is to have like minded people coming together to yak over meals that each prepared.  We brought to reality those yummy dishes that we drooled over while we blog hopped, we also share our kitchen experiences and knowledge with each other.  

This particular afternoon, the sharing was an eye opener for me.  I also get to learn more from others’ parenting journey.  The sharing is immensely enriching.  Thank you ladies! Next round, I will definitely organised one for us as well as for our kids. 

For this gathering, initially I wanted to cook curry but since I have been cooking curries for my previous parties, I should make some changes.

My little one had been eating Lor Mai Kai from school quite often.  She said it is the easiest as she need not have to queue long for her food during recess time. 

Photobucket

Since I have not venture into this type of recipe, I decided to give it a go.  I am please that I gotten good feedback from it.  Next round, I will not be too health conscience about it and add in a little chicken fats.  Guess no harm if it is not on a daily diet.

Thanks to YA for bringing home a bottle of this super hot chilli sauce from Sabah.  Luckily EN warned us about the potency of this sauce.  A very good compliment sauce to my lor mai kai!

Now let me share my lovely scrumptious feast I had this afternoon.

From ScrumPtious-FlaVours - Durian and Strawberry cream puff.  Totally to die for.

Photobucket

From Cook with No Books - Orr Nee.  One of my all time favourite Teochew dessert.

Photobucket

From 最爱的, this chocolate muffins is intense and delish!
Photobucket

From The Batter Baker - Coconut and Pineapple Cheesecake, after this one, I am now a coconut convert.

Photobucket

From Cosy Bake - Marble Cheese cake - Look pretty and taste good.

Photobucket

Thanks girls giving up your family time and spending the afternoon with me.  Also thanks for your generous flowers and gift. 

A wonderful afternoon I had.  Hope you did too. 

Lor Mai Kai (Steamed Chicken Glutinous Rice)

What you need:

1kg  chicken (best use chicken thigh, sliced into strips with skin on as it taste better)

Marinating sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp Shao Xing wine
1 tsp dark soya sauce
2 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp ginger juice
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp corn flour

1 kg glutinous rice (washed and soaked overnight)

6 tbsp oil
50g dried mushroom (soaked till soft and sliced into strips)
10 shallots, sliced

3 tsp salt
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 1/2 tsp five spice powder (get from medical hall for better quality)

1 litre of water

Garnishing

red chillies
spring onions
fried shallots

Method:

Season chicken with marinating sauce for 1 hour or best overnight (chilled).

Fry sliced shallot with oil till brown and fragrant.  Remove but leave a little oil inside the wok.

Add in sliced mushroom and fry till fragrant.  Removed

Add in 2 tbsp shallot oil in the wok, and add in soak glutinous rice and mixed in the fried shallots.

Add in salt, dark soya and light soya sauce into the water.

Add in seasoned water into rice and gently mixed till shallots is well distributed.  Slowly simmer and kept stirring till water is reduced and rice is semi cooked.

Greased cup with oil and arrange chicken strips and mushroom to cover the base.  Next add in the glutinous rice.  

Using a gloved hand, firmly pressed the rice to the cups.  Make sure it is level.

Steam for 30min or till cooked.

Garnish and serve hot. 

Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for everything. The spread was lovely. I only wished I had space in my tummy for everything there :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making time to join us. Your dessert was yummy. Lots of hard work put into it.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post , Edith ! Would really LOVE to try all that delicious goodies :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Anne. If you have a blog, will keep you posted on our next gathering.

      Delete
  3. Wow ... just missed the gathering and goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, how can I miss out the fun :(.... so envy when you all are enjoying the feast, I am at home like crazy woman hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Edith, I enjoyed the time with you gals! Shall meet again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin