Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mid Autumn Festival

I have got no moon cakes to show on this night as we have already eaten all homemade as I blogged about before.
 
We spent the festival as my family gathered together, this time each of us cooked up a dish or two. Unfortunately we were too busy eating that we didn't manage to capture all the dishes that we prepared.
 
For me, I cooked Beef Rendang (Rendang Padang) as I was craving for it and dad likes spicy food as well.
 


After dinner, we proceed on to admire the moon and have our store bought moon cakes that my sisters brought over.  It was tooth achingly sweet.  Next year, I will plan to make my moon cakes nearer to the festival instead.
 
The moon was not impressive tonight. Usually it was huge and round but tonight, it is keeping its distance. 
 



 
We did have fun lighting up candles though.



The next morning, my girl told me that the moon was stunning when she was getting ready for school.

Did we get the date wrong?

What you need:

1/2 kg beef, cut into medium sized pieces
1 turmeric leaf (cut into big pieces)
4 kaffir lime leaves
3 cm thick galangal - bruised
1 stalk of lemon grass
salt to taste
500g chilled coconut milk (you can get from supermarket)
1 cup water (add more if it evaporate quickly before meat turns soft)

Spices to grind

35 chilli padi, deseed (add more if you like it spicy)
12 shallots
3 cloves garic
ginger (half your thumb size)

Method:

Heat wok and add oil (approx 3-4 tsbp). 

Fry grinded spices till fragrant.

Add chicken pieces and stir till beef is well coated with spices.

Add in turmeric leaves, kaffir lime leaves, ginger and lemongrass. 

Add in coconut milk with water and bring to a boil.

Lower heat and simmer till meat is soft and tender.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. If not mistakan, the moon looks rounder & bigger on the 16th. And the colour looks even brighter...in perfect orange colour. However, Happy Mid Autumn Festival. What a delicious dish for the celebration.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kristy, the next day moon was really awesome.

      Delete
  2. Nice rendang dish! We didn't have a traditional celebration, just my family of three out shopping & eating as usual.

    Hey Edith, come over & join my Giveaway: 3 Bottles Of Flenco Body Scrub Worth S$235! See u there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to incorporate some values and tradition into my kids. LOLz.

      THanks for the invitation but I always have no luck with such freebie.

      Delete
  3. oh yum, lovely color and texture!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin