Saturday, August 25, 2012

From childhood memory

When I was young, once a while, my granny will cook Almond Cream/Walnut Cream/Black Sesame Cream 杏仁糊/核桃糊/黑芝麻糊 . She will take out this huge granite stone that comes with a wooden pole to grind the nuts/seeds.

I still vividly remember how she does it. It was definitely a long and tiring process but the result was worth every effort put in.

When my granny is in no mood to prepare this herself, I remember she will bring me along to Chinatown, sat on those long wooden bench and calls for a bowl.

Those days, the quality of food is so much better. No short cut and no substitute! Totally authentic!

Thus I am always seeking such desserts, hoping that I can find a true and decent seller that will not cut corners in replicating these desserts. 

Last week, I went to a mall near my place. A little snack kiosk just outside the supermarket. While hubby ordered the glutinous rice balls, I had Almond Cream. A total regrets because it is laden with starch and flavouring. For the price of S$2 for half a bowl, I felt cheated. 

Anyway, that really prompted me to replicate this dessert at home.  Purchase some 楠杏 (sweet) and (bitter) and got myself busy surfing for a recipe.   I was surprised at those recipes posted on the net.

Some even had an equal amount of both almonds.  Do you know that  can only be consumed in small quantity as it is toxic?   Making almond cream using mazipan was hilarious.  

Finally mommy dearest is home from her line dance ....  so gotten the tips from my sifu and tada…. This is my homemade Almond Cream 杏仁糊.  Now I am a happy woman that don't have to eat crappy dessert anymore.

Given a bowl to my friend L and she shared it with her colleagues and all gave a thumbs up.  Yea!

Photobucket

What you need:
(ingredients best purchase from medical halls)

200g 楠杏(sweet) (soaked overnight) 
50g (bitter) (soaked overnight)
40g rice (soaked overnight)
4 cups water (you can adjust this to the consistency you like)
Rock sugar to taste
2 tbsp gluntinuous rice flour + 4 tbsp water (if you like it thicker)

Method:

Grind the almonds and rice in a blender with 2 cups water.

Pour into a muslin cloth and squeeze out the juice.

Put into a pot and add the remaining water. 

Bring to a boil and add sugar to taste.

Boil till it foamed and reduce heat to a simmer.  Let it simmer for 20 mins.

Add in glutinous rice mixture, keep stirring till it thickens.  (if you don't like to thick, reduce the mixture to half).
Print Friendly and PDF

23 comments:

  1. Alright, I'm so gonna try this out! Thanks Edith! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dilute it if you don't like too thick. I shared this with my uncle and he said too thick.

      Delete
  2. Oooo I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing, Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Your Almond Cream looks so creamy, must be nice although I've never had this before. I am looking for a good 黑芝麻糊 as I love it very much and can't get it here except in the box which is not smooth at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next mission is 黑芝麻糊 but must wait till my girl's cough is gone coz it is heaty. I don't like those in boxes too.

      Delete
  4. This is new to me but it does sound delicious. I did not not know that there is sweet and bitter almonds. I thought there is only one type. My other half just mentioned to me this morning that according to Chinese medicine, almonds are toxic if taken in access. Apparently we are supposed to consume only 2 almonds per day. Any thoughts on that, Edith?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah there are two types of almonds. Western almonds are different. As for chinese almonds, the bitter ones are toxic and cannot be taken excessively, definitely not ONLY 2 almonds a day.

      Delete
  5. I really love this 杏仁糊very much. Definitely want to try this out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favourite. Another is 黑芝麻糊.

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, I recalled you love Almond Cream. I'm glad you found an easy recipe to make it. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I might try this out one day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I couldn't locate the one you shared with me. I think lost in the hard disk crashed. Would very much want to try your version.

      Delete
  7. i'm not aware of the bitter almonds seeds being toxic! you know, sometimes when i boil tong sui, i will grab a small handful of those sweet and bitter seeds putting them in, i think i must be careful of the bitter seeds now after reading what your write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom said the bitter are toxic. Try 1/4 bitter to what you put for sweet.

      Delete
  8. Hi Edith, lovely dessert. Yours look so smooth and creamy. I love this, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Have a great day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful dessert! I bet it tastes heavenly.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Edith,

    This dessert looks delicious and I agree that street food in general used to be a lot better. I remember there was always more "substance" and flavour in most dishes as opposed to a compromise in quality these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad isn't it? Wonder the integrity of serving crappy food.

      Delete
  11. Yay for your simple recipe.. Am going to try it soon..
    Thanks!!!
    Would u attempt black sesame and walnut cream?
    Love those too but cant get it in australia...:)))
    -janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am going to attempt those too but not at this moment as my girl is down with cough. Weather ain't good. As for Walnut, I need to get hold of them.

      Delete
  12. I agree with you that it's difficult to find good almond/ sesame cream here. So far, the one we like is at Chinatown/People's Park foodcentre, Er Gu, but don't know whether is it still there. My hubby would be a happy man if this recipe is good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin