Friday, August 24, 2012

Another round

I missed last round of Bake-Along as I just baked chicken pie and didn't want to do another one so soon.

The theme for this Bake Along #31 hosted by Lena, Joyce and Zoe  is Whoppie Pie. Just perfect timing as it has been on my “to do list” for the longest time.  Many years ago, when I was in San Francisco, I tasted something that looked similar but it was in ice cream form. Thus I am really curious as to whether it is the same that I eaten before.

For this one, I have chosen the recipe from Joy of Baking.

The batter was easily put together. Unfortunately, either I have a big ice cream scoop or a tiny one. Nothing in between! arrgghhhh! A long awaited purchase that I wanted but never had the time to do so.

Thus I make these into really tiny ones, in time for a gathering among my classmates. Boy I am so glad that I reconnected with them as they never failed to make me laugh over our childhood memories.

Personally I find this an interesting recipe. It is like a cross between brownies and soft cookies. I seriously don't know whether whoppie pie is supposed to be like how.
I also fill it up with Lemon and strawberry Mascarpone cheese as I was already serving Tofu Cheesecake on the table.

Will I say it was a success.... I guess not coz my guests were happier commenting on the tofu cheesecake.

Photobucket
 
 
Photobucket

What you need:


230g all purpose flour
75g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, room temperature
150g granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup lukewarm strong coffee

Method:

Preheat oven to 190 degrees C

In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the egg beating well.

Beat in the vanilla extract.

In a small measuring cup, mix the buttermilk and coffee (or water).
With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk/coffee mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

Drop heaping tablespoons (can also use a small ice cream scoop) of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. With moistened fingers or with the back of a spoon, smooth the tops of the cookies.
 
Bake for about 9 - 10 minutes or until the tops of the cookies, when lightly pressed, spring back.

Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

*********
 
Sorry folks, I don't know how to get the link to display everyone's creations so please hop over to the organisers' blog to see the rest.

Print Friendly and PDF

28 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    Glad that you could join us this time round! Your whoopie pies looks wonderful, perfectly rounded and looks yummy! The mascarpone cheese filling sounds good! Whoopie pies to me are really a mini version of layered cakes, but they are fun to eat, kids love them!
    Thank you for baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad that I can join in the fun this round. Thanks for having me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Edith , glad that we both are able to join this round of bake along ;) ... I love our mini whoopie pies.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abbgail! I am glad that I found time to participate too.

      Delete
  3. I have never eaten whoopie pies :-( this is looking so tasty :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashreen, this is my first time too.

      Delete
  4. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely broad for
    me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    Take a look at my site - cool articles about health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anonymous for dropping by. Will be nice to leave a name.

      Delete
  5. Hehe my whoopie pies were also a cross between soft cookie and chewy brownies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Sumo, I was told they are like that.

      Delete
  6. Hi Edith,

    I find your proportions for the cookies and the filling just right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great flavour combination... chocolate, coffee, lemon, strawberry and mascarpone! I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe Kelly sounds more like rojak to me. hehehe

      Delete
  8. hi edith, thanks so much for baking along with us! i do not know how does a lemon and strawberry mascarpone taste like but it sounds good to me. Your whoopie pies are looking very good, serious! I've seen a few of the bloggers who joined in the bake along this round had adapted the recipe from joy of baking, i guess it's a good one. Looking at your whoopie pies, i think it's a great success! Do you like these whoopie pies yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, personally not my favourite but it is a good experience.

      Delete
  9. Hi Edith,
    your pies look great! Lovely filling too.Lemon strawberry mascarpone sounds like a total yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simple Baking. Actually the flavor wasn't planned. So had it on hand decided to mix it to try. Luckily didn't turn out bad.

      Delete
  10. Hi Edith,

    I can imagine whoopie pies with ice cream would be heavenly but scooping the right amount of ice cream to sandwich these whoopie rounds can be quite challenging. Yours with lemon and strawberry mascarpone cheese looks equally heavenly too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Zoe, I think handling the ice cream in our climate will be a nightmare.

      Delete
  11. Edith, of course it's a success
    it looks so good!
    the shape of the cookies are so pretty, round, cute and fat, thats how whoopie pies should look like
    mine is flat!
    and your filling sounds so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Edith, your whoopie pies look delicious, very well baked.
    The filling look good, guess I might be able to eat 4 to 5 at one go. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia. hahaha... I 3 - 4 at one go. Really bite size and easy to pop.

      Delete
  13. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesAugust 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM

    I didn't enjoy my whoppie pies: ) not sure why since they turned out quite alright.. I agree this is a good baking experience..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes it is indeed a gd learning experience .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin