Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Too good to be true

I need to do an MRI scan to find out the condition of my slipped disc.  Was told that if I get a polyclinic referral, the cost of the MRI scan will be lower.  So I have to wait till 11 Oct to see a doctor in the hospital and then fix an appointment for the scan. 

Anyway, though still feeling the pain but I am feeling better now.  I am breaking down my job routine with interval breaks.  I have already started on some exercise to strength my core muscle but I guess this will take time.  Actually I feel so fragile now ... or am I getting paranoid? 

Being sick for the past weeks, I thought my kids and the helper were angels.  Started to get a little more mobile yesterday and I caught my helper taking a nap.  (mind you, she gets a good 8.5 - 9 hours of sleep everyday).   Then I realised that my girl hasn't been doing her tuition homework and my boy started giving me hell once again.

First it was the teacher's complaint.  Then he broke the news that he wanted to give up his taekwondo.  He has been doing very well in this area.  As a parent, it really saddens me for him to make this decision.  He refused to state the real reason but I suspect it must be BRG. 

I was trying to be nice to him as he is suffering from a broken heart but ended up him taking advantage of the whole situation and now acting like he is the king and I just couldn't tolerate the ruddeness.  Why why why!  Do I need to be down and sick, only then you will be an angel?

Anyway, I wanted to do a simple dinner as I spent some time preparing the dessert. 

This Roast Chicken with lemon and rosemary taken from Jaime Oliver's website is really yummy and I am glad that my family likes it.

Photobucket

I tweaked it a little as I don't have bacon and thyme.  I also didn't do the roast potatoes as I already prepared the mash potatoes which my little one love.

Photobucket

As you can see from the pale looking chicken tighs, I am never good with roasting.  I have the fear that if I over baked it, the chicken will be dry.  That doesn't mean that I will not attempt on it. In fact, I am more determined to get a nice roast some day.

What you need:

1 x 2kg chicken
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2kg potatoes, peeled
1 large, preferably unwaxed, lemon
1 whole bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
a handful of fresh thyme
olive oil
a handful of fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
optional: 8 rashers of smoked streaky bacon

Method:

Rub the chicken with a generous amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Marinate it for half a day.

Preheat your oven to 190ºC.

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cut the potatoes into golf-ball-sized pieces, put them into the water with the whole lemon and the garlic cloves, and cook for 12 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for 1 minute (this will give you crispier potatoes), then remove the lemon and garlic. Toss the potatoes in the pan while still hot so their outsides get chuffed up and fluffy – this will make them lovely and crispy when they roast.

While the lemon is still hot, carefully stab it about 10 times.

Take the chicken out of the fridge, pat it with kitchen paper and rub it all over with olive oil. Push the garlic cloves, the whole lemon and the thyme into the cavity, then put the chicken into a roasting tray and cook in the preheated oven for around 45 minutes.

Remove the chicken to a plate. Some lovely fat should have cooked out of it into the roasting tray, so toss the potatoes into this with the rosemary leaves. Shake the tray around, then make a gap in the centre of the potatoes and put the chicken back in. If using the bacon, lay the rashers over the chicken breast and cook for a further 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are nice and golden. (You can tell the chicken is cooked when the thigh meat pulls easily away from the bone and the juices run clear.)


I'm submitting this to Cook Like A Star ( Jamie Oliver ) -July 2012 hosted by Bake for Happy Kids

and

This is what I prepared for dessert.  The Coconut Checkboard Brownies.  Brownies are actually pretty easy to put together but for this one, it is not hard but a long process. 

Photobucket

Reading through other bloggers' attempts, I was worried that mine who turned out as nice as theirs. 

Am glad that hubby likes this one.  In fact, he finds it really special.

Photobucket

As I am not a big fan of coconut, he will be sharing this with his colleague.  Good news is that I am slowly accepting dessicated coconut.

So did I pass the checkboard test?

I'm sharing this post to Bake Along event #28 (oops, I am too late for submission)















Hosted by: Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids
Lena from Frozen Wings
Joyce from Kitchen Flavours
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Hi Edith, your roast chicken look excellent.

    Your brownies look delicious and the checker look nice. 2 thumbs up for you.

    Sorry to hear you're not well. Wish you speedy recovery and take care.

    Have a nice day, regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amelia, still need room for improvement on roasting chicken. Though it is pale looking, taste is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, call the hospital on a daily basis to check if there are any cancellation so they can slot you in. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Edith,
    Do take good care yourself well! Love yourself more first in order to love others. Your roast chicken looks delicious eventhough you have short of other ingredients in it. Simple roast chicken still taste good. Roast chicken, fuss free dinner for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I made the exact same dish for the Cook Like A Star blog hop as well. Yours looks really lovely with the corn and all. I hope things with your son will get better soon. Its hard being a parent. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear edith, just read your previous posts that you have hurt your back. Do you still go for acupuncture? glad to hear that you are actually on the road to recovery and dont lift heavy things again. As regards to the maid, i think at the moment, just 'make one eye close", dont let maid issues affect your mood. Nice seeing that you are still doing some baking, seen your steak pies and also chicken pies and coconut brownies look fantastic! you passed with good scores!! YOu take care , hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith,
    Sorry to hear about the "downs" at the moment, I hope everything will turn out for the better soon. And your chicken looks lovely, roasted chicken is my family's favourite! To get the brown colour, if your oven has a broiler, at the end of cooking time, switch on your broiler and raise your chicken tray a shelf higher, and broil for about 4-5 minutes, keep a lookout, it will brown real quick. You may turn the chicken to brown the other side if you want to.
    And your brownies looks great, even though you did not make it on time to link, the most important is, your family enjoys it and all the efforts paid off! Thanks for the bake! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith,

    Please take care of yourself and I think you need lots of extra care for your back pain. Good that you can still bake these delicious roast chicken and coconut checkerboard brownies but try not to over-strain yourself.

    Sorry to hear all your unhappy incidents with your kids and helper. I think they must realised that they have made you upset and hope that they learn their mistakes.

    Cheer up and take care :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith,

    I am sorry to hear abt your health condition. Do rest more and I wish you a speedy recovery.

    Regards,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edith, please take a good care of yourself... will pray for you! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin