Saturday, June 30, 2012

Joining in the fun

Its sure been quite a while since I join baking event.  The theme for this Bake Along #27 hosted by Lena, Joyce and Zoe is scones

This is my first time. I hope I can find time to continue with this group fun. It is indeed very motivating to see so many interesting recipe churned out from this event.

It is a good way to force me to go through my mini library and identify an interesting recipe to share. Over the years, besides my fondant cake books, I have accumulated so many cook and bake books.  There are so many that I only browsed and salivated on the pictures rather than actual trying out the recipe.

Thus today, I try out Brownie Scones as the author indicated that this is her favourite recipe in this book. 

Guess I really need to pick up my baking habit for I realised that I now fumble. Yesterday's butter cake, it took me longer than usual to get ready. Today, I missed out the chocolate chip and lose thoughts while weighing the sugar, ended a little heavy handed.  Luckily it wasn't unedibily (is there such a word) sweet.

Initially I was a little worried that I might have over mixed as I had a little trouble mixing in the melted chocolate (thicken). You see, scones are very sensitive, the more you handled the less flaky it becomes. Except that I should not have made it thinner, thankfully, all is well.

My family enjoyed it. 

Photobucket


Photobucket
Source: Baking Unplugged

What you need:

112g unsweetened chocolate, chopped
150g plain flour
133g cake flour
138g castor sugar
24g cocoa powder
10g baking powder
1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
1 large egg
63g + 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
2 tsp molasses (i use honey)
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g cold unsalted butter
98g bitter sweet chocolate, finely chopped (I forgotten to add this)
sugar for sprinkling (I omitted)


Method

Melt the unsweetened chocolate over a double boiler. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

Whisk egg, 63g heavy whipping cream, molasses and vanilla.  Set aside.

With a pastry cuter, cut cold butter into flour till it becomes fine crumb.

Drizzle egg mixture into flour and follow by melted chocolate.  

Add in bitter sweet chocolate.

Using a fork, slowly bring everything together.  Do not over mixed. 
With floured hands, gently edge them into the shape you prefers.  Approx 1 1/2" high.  

Using a knife, cut into squares or triangles.  Place them at least 1" apart on the baking tray.

Brush with the 2 tbsp of heavy whipping cream and sprinkle sugar.

Bake for 14 - 16 mins or until the sides look just set.

Cool on rack till firm enough to handle.

Transfer to cooling rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. mmm brownie in scone disguise... intriguing. certainly a must try!

    nice to have you baking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....nice touch of the chocolate scone. Looks incredible yummy!
    Enjoy your weekend, dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these chocolaty scones ! It's my first time joining in , too ! Really glad that I did !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, Your scones sure look chocolaty! I have not tried baking a scone with cocoa powder, this will definitely be a hit with the kids!
    Thank you for baking along with us, nice to have you! Hope you can join us again. Wish you a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really delighted to see you joining us for the first time, edith! i know what you mean by just browsing thru those books and do nothing, i guess a lot of us share the same experience. i think you did very in mixing in the melted choc, they all look evenly browned and i guess this must be really delicious. I wish i could enjoy a piece of this! thanks so much joining. You still hv problem doing the linky?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Edith, this is a nice twist for scones, my kids surely love this :)
    looks so chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Emily.

    Kristy, thanks, my back acted up again so in between had been getting bed rest.

    Anne, yes Bake along is really motivating.

    KF, my hubby and kiddos love it. You have a lovely sunday too.

    Lena, a long delayed fun that I wanted to join long ago but schedule was unbelieveably crazy the past few months. I think I am okay with the linky but I think I messed up yours. Can you delete over at your end? coz I don't know how.
    Sorry.

    Alice yes it is very chocolatey. As the name suggested brownie like too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith, I have been to your blog a dew times but never leave a comments..:p
    I love your chocolatey scones..my boys would definitely loves these. Oh ya! You can visit here for my roselle jam
    http://my123favourites.blogspot.com/2011/10/home-made-roselle-drink-and-jam.html
    Have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin