Saturday, June 23, 2012

Another yearning

When VC was back for a break, we didn't fully have a good time together because another friend of ours needed to go home early (actually it is the hubby who wanted to go home early).

Thus we arranged for another outing before VC leaves town.

This time round, we went to a Spanish restaurant. The Spanish oxtail stew was so good that it really got me wanting more.

When I sent my girl for a workshop, I went to a market in the East.  I happened to chanced upon them at the wet market. Without a recipe on hand, I bought a kg. I have never cook oxtail before but I heard that it is a long cooking process. Nevertheless, slow cook food is always a comfort food. I gave myself credit that I was able to have meat falling off the bone.

Photobucket

Though it was not actually the same taste as I wanted, I guess for the time being, it is enough to stop my craving.

I think I need to hunt down where I can buy dry sherry as indicated by this recipe and only then I can be fair to give a fair review.

Source: About.com

Spanish Oxtail Stew

What you need:

3 white onions, finely chopped
5 tbsp olive oil
5 carrots
6 cloves garlic
1/2 green bell pepper, cubed
2 stalks celery, cubed
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
5 tbsp oilive oil
1kg oxtails, fats removed
2 bay leaves
3 cups dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Pour a few tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan. Heat pan on medium. When oil is hot enough, sauté onions until translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.

Pour 4 Tbsp olive oil in pan and heat on medium. Brown oxtails on both sides.

Brown the rest of the ingredients together with the oxtails, stirring often for about 5 minutes. Then, pour in the sherry. Be sure to stir often so that the mixture does not burn.

Slowly simmer for about 2 - 3 hours till meat is tender soft.

Serve with rice or bread.

************

Since we were all too lazy to go out and have been lazing around the house. I went ahead to make Dodol that I learnt some months ago.

A very tedious process but the result was super good.

 Photobucket

Unable to share this recipe as the teacher is still teaching this.


 




Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. You can get dry sherry from cold storage, saw it there before. But nowaday I don't shop there. Alternatively, you can use red cooking wine too. They give the same sourness to the dish that make it yummy!

    Stepahnie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin