Saturday, March 03, 2012

New friendship

Recently, a friendship blossom between a blog reader and myself. As home maker's social circle is rather small, finding new friends are always difficult since now I don’t hang out in my kids’ schools anymore.

At my low point, this blog reader actually wrote to me, encouraging and offers a listening ear. I am so touched by this gesture. Imagine a stranger offering this for me!

Soon I found myself chatting with her whenever we see each other online. Getting to know her better and I found out that she is also a vivid baker and cook. She does not own a blog and she is very humble with her knowledge.

So this recipe is her tested and liked and I couldn't wait to try it as well.

I ate oat since I was young. Mom very often either make it sweet or savoury as our breakfast meals. Especially when we are ill, oats will be one of our oil free meal. Unfortunately, I didn’t introduce oats to my kids when they were young (totally my fault), my kids grown up not liking having oats as their breakfast meals.

So I incorporate them into cookies and they will eat it up eagerly. Thus when I found out that I can also incorporate it into cakes, I was really delighted as by now all of you know the goodness of oats in our diet.

Besides a blunder thinking rolled oats as quick cooking oats, this cake turned out lovely (Thanks to my very efficient helper for once again, messed up all my storage labelling). Using good quality butter also added the awesome taste to butter cakes.

Photobucket

Shall we pair it with Earl Grey tea as our afternoon tea time later?

Thanks VM for sharing this nice recipe.

What you need:

100ml water
1 tbsp condensed milk
50g quick cooking oats

200g butter
100g sugar
4 eggs
170g cake flour
2 tps baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Method:

Greased and lined a 9" round pan.

In a pot, bring water, condensed milk and oats to a boil. Stirring constantly and once oats soften. Set aside to cool.

Cream butter and eggs until fluffy.

Add in eggs one at a time and beat till it incorporated.

Add vanilla.

Add oat mixture and mixed till combined.

Sift cake flour and baking powder into the butter/oat mixture and fold till combined.

Pour into pan and bake for 160 deg for 40 - 45 mins.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Hi, which brand of butter do u use?

    Nina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only you as a homemaker finds yr circle of friends few. I am working but this doesnt mean that I have plenty of friends who are willing to listen to my problems. There is no one to turn to to pour out our fears and woes. It is true of the saying that when one cries, one cries alone. Usually, I pray to overcome my depression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. who can resist a good old butter cake and with the addition of oats, it think this brings some texture to the cake, sounds awesome. although we are not that close, i'm very glad that we can be blogging friends too. Have a nice sunday! btw, i've ordered a kenwood ice cream maker just yesterday, not too expensive about USD99, i shld be getting it next week, excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nina, I used either President or Elle & Vire.

    Mettateoh, I am lucky coz I have good support from my few friends and my family too. Mom used to tell me, a few good friends is enough. Don't need a party of them.

    Lena, yes nothing beats good old butter cake. And I am glad to find you as a blogging friend too. Yea you got an ice cream machine. Can't wait to see more creations from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks good. Like your children, my son doesn't like oats on its own too so I love finding ways to sneak them into his diet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lite Home Bake, will be checking out your blog for more oats inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to bake a healthier version to any bakes but of course they are not really that healthy huh! I got a problem remembering that, that's why my waistline is expanding lol! This is a great looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhaha Jeannie,home made is def better than store bought. As for the waistline, it comes with age I find.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin