Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I have been fooled!

As I am moving my Fujioh hood to the new place, I need to find a replacement for my current home.

The delivery men came for the installation. They told me that I have to top up another S$60 as mine was a NON standard model. What to do? I didn't know how to remove.

After much bargaining, he lowered it down to S$50.

So they went about setting up the new machine and guess what, they didn't even need a screwdriver to remove the old one. All it takes it two men to lift and bring it down!!!! I was shocked!

Okay to comfort myself, it was indeed a heavy machine and I and the helper won't be able to do it alone!

These days, workmanship is really expensive!

Enough of my foolishness, today is Shrove Tuesday also known as Pancake Day.

How time flies and I am also getting older. I already saw Easter Chocolate being sold in the supermarket.

Seeing my son grows into this teenage phrase, I can't help but wonder what had I done wrong in the past.

He was into his nonsensical behaviour again and this time round, I suspended his phone line. Seriously I wonder when he will grow up and learn some form of respect. Luckily I am not depending on him during old age! It is soooooo painful with him going through this phrase. It is hurting all of us!

On a positive note, daughter got another 90% score for her 听写. I can see the happiness in her when she gets such achievement. She sure been working really hard as Chinese is her weakest subject. As she doesn't do CA1 anymore, I really am not too sure how to find out how she is coping. I pray she does and am enjoying the learning process.

To reward her, today I am making Brownies pancake . I hope it will go well with the new tub of Chocolate Snicker ice cream we have. Yes again, I took Kitchen Corner recipe. So you can guess it is really that good.

Photobucket

Verdict: This pancake has a brownie like texture

Source: Tracey's Culinary adventures

What you need:
Brownie Bater Pancakes


136g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
22g cocoa powder
54g castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt
44g canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
216g milk

Method

Mix everything into a bowl and whisk till it is smooth.

Heat pan and using a ladle, scoop batter into pan and cook pancake till cook on both sides.

I serve it with chocolate ice cream.
********

Chocolate Snickers Ice Cream

4 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
300ml milk
150g dark chocolate
300ml whipping cream
2 Snickers bars

Method:

Put the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl and whisk until thick and foamy. Pour the milk into a heavy pan, bring just to the boil, then gradually pour the milk into a heavy pan, bring just to the boil, then gradually pour the milk on to the yolk mixture, whisking constantly.

Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens and is smooth.

Pour back into the bowl and stir in the chocolate until melted. Cover the custard closely, leave to cool.

Pour into the ice cream and make accordingly to manufacturer's instruction.

Fold in chopped chocolate snickers transfer to a freezer container. Freeze for 5 - 6 hours until firm.
Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,

    Nice brownie pancake, and the ingredients look simple as well. I may attempt to make it this weekend.

    Sorry to hear abt your son, but terminating his hp line will only make him more angry and find ways to make you more angry?

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally,

    I quite like it. Hope you do too.

    As for the hp line, I am already at a lost coz despite upteen times of reminders, + routine set down + rules and boundaries all turned to deaf ears. He simply ignored all. To make it worst, his behaviour is so gangster like now.

    I resorted to removing the root of all evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,

    Be careful. Sometimes when people are angry and unreasonable, esp teenagers, they can get into a fit of anger and just hit or hurt people around them. At that time they will not have their rationale mind anymore.

    I am speaking through experience which I have witnessed myself with similar situation with my cousin's son.

    Maybe you can speak to ur hubby and see if he can reduce his overseas trip, so when hb is at home, maybe ur son will behave.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Edith,

    never try brownie pancake, looks delicious :)

    yeah tell me about it for workmanship fee in sgp nowadays and often its not equal to the quality sigh...

    about your boy, i do hope you'll get thru this difficult phase soon... i dunno yet, my boy is only coming to 5yrs now... i'll just pray that you stay strong and patient *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally, I been thru that "physical" stage already and yes I am definitely frightened but ... how long can I be afraid. That is why I am even more firm to make my point across this time round.

    Hubby already tried to cut down on his travel. It used to be of help but not anymore

    Alice, yah prices in singapore goes up never come down. Very lightly, we will end up like Japan.

    I guess, I wasn't firm and I spoilt him when he was young and now it is my pay back time. Thanks for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edith,

    I have been your silence reader for a few years. My boy is 12 and recently I had a few occasions where he annoyed me and made me cried. I understand how you feel, it was not very long ago where they were still our little sweet heart. Now, I have to admit he is getting bigger and has his own views. I must remember not to embarrass him in front of his friends.... it is heart broken for mummies when children said cruel things to us. But I agree with Sally that it can backfire, what you can try is take away his phoneline and other things for a short period of time,( to show you are the BOSS), but return him after that and he will know his limits, and your relationship will not be toooo stormy, it takes times, don't give up!!!!!!


    Regards,
    kium

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith,

    Your brownie pancakes sure look delicious. I wish that I can be more active in the kitchen but it's hard to do so with my busy schedule.

    Maybe the reason why your son feels so angry is because you seems to favour your daughter? I've been reading your blog constantly and I noticed the stark difference when you talk about both of them. Sorry, I shouldn't be saying this.

    Anyways, continue to keep up the good work in churning out all those mouthwatering treats! Yum!

    Love
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kium, I guess being a parent is really tough. It is much tougher than our parents' era.

    That is why I took away his phone line, the intention is to show him that he should not be so arrogrant. I had learnt to be tolerate to many of his behaviour except that I still can't let go of him being rude.

    Being a parent, we have no choice but to hang on right? There isn't such thing as give up coz eventually we will still come back to them.

    Anonymous said...
    Hi Edith,

    Your brownie pancakes sure look delicious. I wish that I can be more active in the kitchen but it's hard to do so with my busy schedule.

    Hi Hilda, you are right, I might have given the impression that I favours.

    Raising my son was a bliss till he was 5. He was an extremely good boy when he was young. Besides being weak as he was asmathic I never have problem with him except the hyperactiveness. It exhaust me but I was able to handle. That is why I decided to have another child.

    When he was in P3, he started giving me a lot of problem (behavioural in school). Constant phone calls from school. I fell into depression as I didn't know how to cope with it. Luckily for me, I met very good friends who rallied around me and given me comfort. In Aug that year, he was confirmed as a ADHD child and we have been seeking medical help ever since.

    Now that he is in upper Sec, I was looking forward to him being a little more mature. He did change, he did mellow but his rudeness never went away. In fact, it got so bad that few months ago, because he cannot get his way, he actually shoved me twice. The first time, I hurt my hip.

    I already tried many times to show him more love and concern but it only last for a short moment coz when he cannot get his way, his old self is back.

    Girl on the other hand, was the neglected one. I spent so much energy on son that I neglected her in many ways.

    She grew up very independent and sensitive. Perhaps she witnessed too many breakdowns from me that she actually can feel me.

    Though not bright but she is extremely hardworking.

    Thus at here moments, I felt it is so unfair. One is so bright and yet lazy. The other needs to work so hard and yet not getting there.

    So it is really hard ..... I wish I know how else I can make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for sharing this snickers ice cream recipe! i do think that they are really good!

    edith, do not always think that you have done wrong causing your son to behave in such a way. Though i have not had this kind of experience but all these thoughts will eventually break us down. i know it's hard..we all have our own problems..we just try the best we could..i'm learning hard too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brownie pancake?!! Very special!
    Beside, the ice cream picture looks super PRO! Use it for the front page of your ice cream recipe book next time ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that time surely flies and we are already coming to the end of Feb this week. Cheez! Brownie pancake sounds awesome and with snicker ice-cream. Bet your girl was really happy with this reward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had brownie pancakes! They look very delicious, esp. when topped with the ice cream!
    Workmanship is dang expensive over here too. Transferring a kitchen range would cost more than to buy a new one.
    Spelt is a cereal grain in the wheat family, but easier to digest, higher in protein, and lower calorie. In Germany you can find spelt bread flour (#1050), spelt pastry flour (#630) and wholegrain spelt flour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always nice to get rewards for doing a great job. You are a great mum making such these delicious pancakes for your daughter. She is so lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin