Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I am 50 years old

Last night, I was at a baking class conducted in a home. This is my first time attending class in such an environment. As I have astigmatisms, the dim light didn't help at all. It was a warm night, I was literally perspiring the whole session and I should have remembered to bring my bottle of water up.

I like the class size of 4. It makes it cosy and my classmates were nice to help me with notes that sometime were spoken in a different language. Also I love the Red Ruby dessert that was served and that reminds me that I should make a batch to enjoy in such warm weather.

While waiting for the cake to baked, the teacher asked for my age. I was thrown off when she said I am fifty!

For up to now, this is the first time someone over guessed my age. I didn't feel offended at all but rather sad. The stress of parenthood had definitely taken a toll on me and I think I really needed to do something about this.

When I relate this incident to hubby over bedtime, he was laughing so hard.

I have been eyeing on Frozen Wing's Whole grain loaf for days. I knew I had to bake this, for I love multi grain loaf!

I had a hard time locating all the ingredients though. In fact, I went to four supermarkets and yet I can’t complete the list!

This is my first using wholemeal flour to make bread and I didn't know what to expect when the recipe said to beat till smooth and elastic. After 15 mins, I decided that I should give the machine a break before I blow the motor again.

Left the dough to proof while I went to pick up my daughter and I was glad that it did rise after we came home. I didn't divide into 4 as I feel the dough is rather small. Initially I was happy to find out that it fits into my small pull man tin and was hoping that it will fill up the tin and I will get a square loaf but unfortunately, there isn't much rise during the second proofing (so I might have not done this dough properly).

All is not lost as the bread turned out lovely!

Photobucket

I couldn’t resist slicing a slice off and slapping on some butter. Nothing beats a good piece of wholesome goodness before Pilates class!

What you need:

200g wholemeal flour
50g bread flour
2 tbsps sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1½ tbsp rolled oats
1 tbsp flaxseed
½ tbsp spelt flakes (I have problem finding this)
½ tbsp toasted wheatgerm
water 170gm
cold butter 15gm
some sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, instant oats for sprinkling on top

Method:

Put all of the above ingredients except water and butter into your mixing bowl , use a fork to give them a good mix. Using dough hook on electric mixer, pour in water little by little till a dough is formed. Keep on beating for another 5 minutes, add in butter and continue beating for another 15 minutes till dough is smooth.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface, shape into a ball and let proof till double its size.

Divide dough into 3 equal portions, shape them into round again and let rest for another 10 minutes.

Shape each roll into a rectangle and roll it back like a swiss roll, do the same for the rest of the 2 rolls and let them proof in a greased baking tin (23cmx11cmx11cm baking tin) for another 45 minutes .

Bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC for about 30 minutes
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. 50 ?! huh ! ;D You said its a tad dark inside that room and maybe she needs to use her eyeglasses ? hahaha I've seen Lena's awesome bread and yours looks just as lovely ;) I've yet to try baking bread tsk :P ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith,

    Time to de-stress and go for monthly hair trim, mani & pedi, facials, etc.

    Regards,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely don't look 50.

    I have shortlisted this recipe but yet to try it out since my bread machine died on me and it is really time consuming to hand-knead. Still on KIV mode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes it's the stress that adds on ages to our face...or perhaps that lady who commented needs a pair of glasses! but it's always nice to have a break and pamper ourselves and relax our minds. thanks for the mention, spelt flakes is not easily available here, i've only seen it once selling at a shop here and they are not carrying this flakes at the moment, probably low demand..othewise i will get you some. They mainly look like rolled oats and darker in colour. normally i beat my dough till smooth to touch and the dough dont get easily torn apart when we stretch it but i seldom beat it till window pane stage although i know it's possible. Thanks for linking back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne, try it coz even my son likes it.

    Sally, that is what I have been doing lately. Dolling myself up but unfortunately, I still can't hide. hahaha

    Blessed Homemaker, thanks dear. YOu are too kind. We haven't been catching up for a long time. When H comes home this June, we will arrange a gathering at my place.

    Lena, even my son who is now such a fussy eater loves it. We ate it with a dollop of good butter and it is soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin