Saturday, January 14, 2012

TGIF

Today, I got out of bed with a limp. I had a very bad night as I was woken up by my cramp again. Ever since I had my slipped disc operation, though my back pain is gone but I am plague by the constant cramp.

Last night was a bad one as it goes all the way down to my ankle. It usually only reached my calf. It took me a good one hour to ease the pain and get back to sleep.

Thank God that hubby is back and he took over the responsibility of sending my little one to school.

With a wonderful cool morning, I decided to make some Chocolate Caramel Cream tarts as I am in the stage of pie crust experiment.

We are a chocolate loving family. Though I am the only one that likes Dark Chocolate, we still can come to a compromise when it comes to chocolate.

To welcome hubby home, I made a chocolate caramel tart for him.

Putting the dough together is easier than I imagine. The chocolate custard could have been a little thicker but I got into difficulties making the caramel. I worried that I will burn the sugar, then the splatter of the sugar syrup when I add in the cream. A burn at this point in time is no fun. All went smoothly .... but my caramel seems watery. I boiled it longer hoping that it will thicken but I was no way close.

Plunge it into an ice bath and still it didn't thicken to the stage that I think caramel should be. I wonder why. After chilling, the caramel thickens but when I try to assemble the tart, it starts to bleed even before I had a chance to take a snap shot (as you can see in the picture).

Photobucket

Verdict: We love the chocolatey crust. As for the custard, I think I will reduce the liquid a little more. Need to work on that caramel.

Overall, I am glad that I turned this into tarts rather than pie. Reason because we were able to eat it up real quickly.

Have a good weekend.

Source: Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts

Rich Chocolate Pie Dough
What you need:


186g plain flour
69g sugar
12g cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
85g cold butter, cubed
3 large egg yolks
½ tsp vanilla
2 tbsp water

Method:

Pulse flour, suar, cocoa and salt till combined.

Add butter and pulise till fine crumbs.

Add yolks and vanilla and pulse till dough is formed.

Shped into a disk

Chill

Fillings
What you need:


109g sugar
25g cornstarch
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cup milk (I will reduce to 2 cups)
129g bitersweet chocolate
4 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp water
1 1/4 cup heavy cream

Method:

Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt together. Set aside.

Combine milk and chocolate in a pot and over med heat slowly melt the chocolate.

Whisk 1 cup of hot milk into the cornstarch mixture until smooth. Pour in the remaining mik and bring it to boil. Stir till it thickens.

Whisk egg yolks and slowly drizzle in the hot milk mixture. Keep stirring. Pour into pot and bring it to a boil. Stirring constantly till custard thickens. (spoon test).

Sieve and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool.

Pour into crust, cover with cling wrap and chill in fridge.

To prepare caramel.

Combine the remaining 1/4 sugar, water and bring to boil till sugar turns amber. Do not stir.

Slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup cream, whisking constantly till smooth. BE CAREFUL splatter.

Place pot in ice bath, stir till cold.

Beat remaining 3/4 cup cream to soft peak. Fold in the caramel.

Spread over pie.

Garnish either with chocolate shavings or cocoa nibs (like what I did).

Note: Because my caramel wasn't thick, I didn't fold into the whipped cream.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. 2 weeks ago, I had a scare that I might have got a slipped disc.... that sent me to the orthopedic surgeon at Gleneagles. Luckily it was just a pinched muscle. I felt so old... could not bend and stoop down.... now I am considering signing up for a regular session with a chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...looks awesome....love the chocolatey pics :)....do link it to my ongoing event : http://daily-cuppa.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-first-event-chocolate-lover.htmll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Do we need to bake the crust?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, do take care. This one not something that can be taken lightly. I paid a dear price for my carelessness.

    Thanks Resh.

    Sorry Tracey, yes you need to bake the pie crust first.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin