Thursday, January 12, 2012

The secret of Daim Cake ?

When I was staying in Seletar, I often go to Ikea Tampines for my dessert fix of Daim Cake.

Since I moved here 3 years ago, I stopped as the place is out of the way and going to the one near town is not possible as parking is an issue over there.

During an appliances hunt last month at the mega hub, we popped over to this eatery. Hubby was so sweet to get me my sugar fix as I had totally forgotten about my soft spot for this cake.

Rekindle my love for it, I can't wait to recreate this at home. Thus today, maximising my time before I sent my girl for tuition, I went about quickly to make this cake. After all, I estimated that I only take 1 hour to get everything done with 15 mins baking time. I reckon that I can complete the whole cake in 45 mins + 15mins of shower time.

Boy, I was wrong. Removing the wrappers already took me a good 10 mins!


Unfortunately, with my ailing memory, I can't recall how it taste like right now.


Thus I am not sure whether this is as close to the one I eaten.

Let's hope my sister can share some light to it …. Er… perhaps not as she is not really into dessert.

Or perhaps if there is still any remaining for hubby who is coming home tonight!

Yea! I am so relieved to know my man is coming home.

Verdict: My sister and her hubby finds it too sweet. Hubby said it is close but not there yet.

If you try it, please let me know how close I am to the real stuff so that I can go back to the drawing board. Thanks.

What you need:

A big bag of Daim
4 tbsp of cream

125g egg whites
40g castor sugar
120g ground almonds
80g icing sugar

Method:

Melt daim over a double boiler till it melted. Remove.

Blend in cream. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 180 deg. Line cookie tray with silicone mat.

Sift ground almonds and icing sugar.

Whisk egg white and sugar till stiff peak.

Fold almond into the egg white.

Spread batter into 3 disc approx 7". Making sure they are even.

Bake for 10 - 15 mins.

Cool slightly and remove.

Assembly.

Put the first dacquoise disk as base.

Spread the Daim mixture.

Add in the second dacquoise.

Spread Daim mixture.

Add the third dacquoise and pour in the remaining Daim mixture.

Chill in fridge.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. I love the Daim cake, Edith! I try for you =P haha. Great idea to recreate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tasted this cake before. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith...i miss this cake at Ikea also!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea what Daim Cake is, but yours sure looks good! Great try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin