Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Age is catching up

It is nearly three weeks the kids started school. Everything is falling into routine.

Son is behaving well. Thanks to my brother in law and sister who came down to give him a pep talk. It seems that it is working. Son is also adjusting to being in the upper secondary school too. Initially he complains that it feels hot wearing long pants. Now he is complaining that there is too much homework. You see, throughout this 8 years of education, he never had issues with homework. Either it is not done or he spent less than half hour on it. Now he is facing reality and I hope he will realised that his holiday mode as a student is over. This is the real world.

Daughter is enjoying school. She is coping well socially and am not really hurt by nasty remarks easily now. I am happy that she is able to fend off bullies too and opening her heart to me.

So everything is really looking positive. Yea!

With 4 days to go for us to celebrate Lunar New Year. I spent the whole of yesterday baking away.

So here is the first line up. Pineapple Tarts! How can we do without it right? Saying the name already felt auspicious.

This year, I attempt on Lekker's recipe but I got disrupted by anonymous phone calls. Was awaken by someone calling after midnight not uttering a sound and then in the morning, twice again but the final call was someone with an Indonesian accent. With a tired and disrupted mind, I made a mistake of adding a whole egg instead of just egg yolk. Darn!

Not too sure whether this altered the texture but luckily it didn't turn out bad. Also my new cutter wasn't good. Pretty to look at but it doesn't cut clean and resulted in my not so round cookie. Haiz.....

Photobucket

What you need:

340g plain flour
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp icing sugar
250g butter, cubed
1 egg yolk
25ml cold water
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 beaten egg, glazing

Method:

Sift flour, salt and mix sugar into a mixing bowl.

Rub in butter till mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Beat in the egg yolk and add cold water and essence. Mix well to form a dough.

Place in plastic bag and chill for 30 mins.

Roll pastry out on a lightly floured table top and cut out with tart cutters.

Fill each piece with the pineapple jam.

Glaze with beaten egg.

Bake at 180 ºC for 15 mins.

*******************

Next on the list is yet another attempt on Alan Ooi's Fried Green Pea cookies which all of us loved. I grind my own friend green pea flour and should have done it more finely so that it is easier to cut through.

Photobucket

Recipe can be found here.

*****************

I also baked a batch of Nori Cookies. My family love seaweeds since hubby just brought home some seaweed bits from Korea. Unfortunately, the taste didn't come through as much as I wanted but the overall cookie is nicer according to hubby.

Photobucket

I took this recipe from David Lebovitz and obviously I don’t know what eur de sel aux algues is. Perhaps with that, the taste will be more distinct? I did modify it a little by adding sesame seeds to give it some aroma. Well,I will further investigate on this when I have time.

What you need:

90g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoon fleur de sel aux algues, plus additional for sprinkling the cookies
110g icing sugar
1 large egg yolk
1½ tablespoons olive oil
155g plain flour

Method:

Mix the butter and fleur de sel aux algues together until smooth. Beat in the icing, then the egg yolk.

Add the olive oil and flour and beat until smooth.

Roll the dough into two logs, each about 8-inch (20 cm) long. Wrap each in plastic and chill until firm enough to slice, about 1 hour.

To bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 300F (150C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper then slice the cookies on the scant side of ¼-inch (½cm) thick. Place them evenly-spaced on the prepared baking sheet.

Sprinkle a couple of grains of seaweed salt over the top of each cookie (I didn't do this).

Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until slightly-firm.

Cool before serving.

Storage: The cookies are best the day they’re made, but can be stored overnight in an airtight container. The dough can be chilled for up to 5 days, or frozen for 2 months.

Verdict: A nice cookie but I will make it even smaller to become bite size. This cookies spread.

*******************

Many years ago, my Vegetarian aunt offered Seaweed chips as her Lunar New Year goodies and since it is so easy to assemble. Why not?

It didn't turn out the way I wanted. My mom said I rolled too tightly. So folks if you are doing this. Roll loosely okay.

Photobucket

I might want to try the sesame version later. That is if I still have the time and stamina.

Okay folks, that is all for today. My neck is aching and my shoulders are sore now. Haiz... must be old age.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Hi Edith

    your cookies look good!
    I have made pineapple tarts, peanut cookies, sugi biscuits and kuih bangkit and achar but haven't had the time to post pictures.

    Just wanted to let you know that the literal translation of fleur de sel aux algues is seaweed salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, i did a google translate, the fleur de sel aux algues = sea ​​salt with seaweed

    ReplyDelete
  3. your seaweed cookies attracted me!! i think they kinda special!! enjoy the holidays, wishing you a very happy chinese new year! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know things are looking up in your household, Edith. Good sign for the new year! Your cookies look amazing! Wishing you Gong Hei Fatt Choi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the Nori Cookies, can you please enlighten me? I cannot find the ingredients for nori, so how much, where and when do you add them in? Mh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tina, Regina for the info. Will look out for it.

    Lena and Dumpling Love Gong Hey Fatt Choi to you too.

    MH, according to the recipe, it was only 2 tsp of fleur de sel aux algues but I added 23g of seaweed powder that I processed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you have got wendy kor's cheese lollipop cookies???

    ReplyDelete
  8. tina, regina thanks for the translation.

    lena, it is nice but I think I need to find the correct ingredients.

    Dumpling Love, thanks.

    Anonymous, Nori is seaweed aka fleur de sel aux algues.

    eunice, nope I didn't get Wendy Kor's

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin