Monday, January 30, 2012

A close shave

I have been extremely busy. After baking the first round of cookies for my mom, I didn't get a chance to bake the second round till the eve of Lunar New Year.

I was busy throwing or giving stuff away the last couple of days before Lunar New Year.

Things were all over the place and the system that I set down was all messed up. Barbies and their accessories were all messed up. Lego were all over the place. Board games' parts were misplaced. All were conveniently being packed and stored, ready for the move. I was freaking out!

Unused toys finally found new owners and I am glad that it brought smiles.

.... okay enough of toys drama .... let’s move on to my bake...

as I mentioned earlier, I only found time to bake on the eve of Lunar New Year.

As I still have pineapple jam left and already I had given away the first round of tart making, a good excuse to experiment with more recipes.

For this one, I had chosen Zu's Pineapple Tart (Closed tart with clove). I believe I had made these before but somehow I can't recall which year.

Photobucket

Verdict: Hubby and JY love this version. For me, I find it a little sweet. I must remember to omit the icing sugar the next round.

Next was supposedly to be Dragon cookies. I had baked these before but thinking that this year will be Dragon year, it might be a good idea to have these as Lunar New Year goodies. Unfortunately, things didn't work out.

Photobucket

I had the same problem as last time even though I used another recipe. Piping is near impossible. As I was getting really tired, I decided just to roll them into balls and flatten it.

Verdict: Taste wise, freshly baked, it tasted like Kueh Bangkit without the fragrant of coconut. As it matured, it tasted better. I will attempt this cookie until I find a recipe that allows easy piping.

Didn't had a chance to post or rather too lazy to take any pictures earlier on till now ....

as I wanted to pen down my feelings for today.

As I was checking on my emails, I heard a loud scream. Didn't give much thought to it as this place is popular for school kids to do their adventure treasure hunt or orientation events as it is near Kallang River.

About half hour or less, my helper informed me that there are many people downstairs and the police had cordoned off the car park.

The tape was circle round with my car parked inside. Out of curiosity, I walked to the other end of the corridor and looked down, saw a red patch just 2 feet away from my car. Yes, directly behind my car boot!

Luckily today I decided to park a little away from the curb!

I hesitated for a moment, for I don't know whether I should move my car or not. Also the fear of seeing blood (I have blood phobia).

Finally I summed up my courage, went down stair, gave my particular to the police and without even checking my car, I drove off and parked in the furthest lot that I can find.

The feeling is really creepy.

Undeniable, a sigh of relief as there wasn't a body bag there so she might not be dead, a further sigh of relief that she didn't land on my car!

I seriously hope she is not badly hurt. Will I get nightmares tonight I really don't know but knowing it was that close, bring shudders.

Update: Was told that her face was injured. I pray she will pull through.

Dragon Cookies
Source: Baking Made Easy (Agnes Chang)

What you need:

120g butter
120g castor sugar
3 egg yolks
360g corn flour
a little red colouring(for the eyes)
5 tbsp milk (I added this)

Method

Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

Add egg yolks and beat till incorporated.

Fold in cornflour and mixed till dough is formed.

Pipe into dragon shape with a star tip.

Dot eyes with red colouring.

Baked at 180 degrees till light brown.

*************
Pineapple Closed Tart with clove

What you need:

500g butter, softened
700g plain flour
100g milk powder
100g icing sugar (next time i will omit this)
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 yolks
cloves for decorating

Method

Cream butter and eggs till creamy and light

Add flour, salt and milk powder into butter mixture, mix it till all the ingredients are well incorporated

Shape dough into a big ball, wrap and let it rest for 15min or more in the refrigerator

Shape the dough to your liking and top or fill with pineapple jam

Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for about 10-15mins or till the sides turn golden brown
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. still you managed to get it done with your dragon cookies! with these dragon cookies, it will be a good year for you! you got me nervous when i was reading about that incident at the car park, what happened? she was knocked down by a car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! What a horrible experience. Don't worry I am sure you will be fine, don't scare the Lord is always with you. Stay calm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. o..what a mess...hope she isn't terribly hurt either.
    Ain't those cookies just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you & your family, Edith. Well, as a wife & mom, we're usually the busiest person around the house during this time of the year. But I enjoying it though especially the union. So much noise coming from the kitchen especially women gathered around. ha...
    Hope you're still having fun.
    Best wishes
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds scary experience.
    Edith, I remember you say you want to learn crochet, where are u going to learn it. I am interested too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin