Thursday, October 27, 2011

Replacement

I was in the process of looking for a better candy thermometer when my helper broke my candy thermometer during our last macaron making session with C and V

You see, I wasn't prepared to let this one go as yet. My classmate, DP actually recommended me a good one but due to budget and I wasn't sure whether I will put it to really good use, I was thinking real hard as the shipping cost might equate to the price of the thermometer.

Thus, before this accident, I was actually looking for a cheaper alternative. Well, I guess I had to speed up my search when she broke it.

Just as I was thinking hard, another classmate of mine JW was coming home for a visit. She was so sweet to ask me what I need in the States. So I gave her my cheaper alternative. Blessing is that the shop was just across where she lived.

So now I am a happy bird and my son is even a happier bird because he will get to eat his macarons real soon.

To thank her for the trouble, I baked her Double Chocolate Muffins. I saw this recipe from Kitchen Flavours which she adapted it from Good Housekeeping, Christmas Cookbook.

Photobucket

Personally I really love the texture of this muffin. Intense and yet moist and fluffy. It is also not difficult to put together.

I brought some cute little cupcake liners but was disappointed actually by the outcome. Instead of baking it into nice little squarish cups, it ended up really ugly. Haiz....

Nevertheless, ugly or not, this is definitely a keeper!

Photobucket

Now I really hope JW likes it.

Today we went to the psychology appointment. Pretty disappointment by the outcome as it is yet another doctor. For the past appointments, due to my course, my hubby was the one to bring my son there.

I wish they stick to one so that we don’t have to repeat the whole experience.

At S$75 an hour, I came out feeling just as lost. Now she wanted another appointment in two weeks time. Geesh!

What you need:

125g unsalted butter
100g plain chocolate
225g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
40g cocoa powder
150g golden caster sugar (I use 150gm brown sugar)
200g chocolate chips
1 medium egg
200ml milk
150g natural yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:

Preheat the oven to 190 ºC (170 ºC fan). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.

Melt the butter and plain chocolate. Mix together very gently and leave to cool a little.

Sieve flour, bicarbonate of sode, cocoa powder.

Add caster sugar, chocolate chips and a pinch of salt to the flour mixture. Stir everything together.

Beat egg, milk, yoghurt and vanilla extract together in a bowl.

Pour both the egg mixture into chocolate mixture and mix well.

Add this into the dry ingredients, then roughly fold together. Be careful not to overmix, or the muffins won't rise properly.

Divide the batter among the paper cases.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen and springy. Take each muffin out of the tin and cool on a wire rack before serving.

If not serving immediately, the muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to three days.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    May I know what is the brand of the candy termometer that your friend,DP recommended?Love the look of the chocolate muffins and I might just give it a try one of these days...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the muffins look nice with the squarish look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What irresistible chocolatey muffins, look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,
    I'm glad that you have enjoyed the muffins. I made some for my friend and she has asked me to bake these again as a gift for her friend! It is a keeper!
    I need to invest in a good candy thermometer. I bought a cheap one but it is not reliable! What brand are you using and is it any good? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really chocky and moist! I'm sure your friend, JW, will love these! For a moment, I thought you have decided to replace your maid! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These muffins look rich and moist!! :) I will love to have one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shereen, the brand my friend recommended is this one:

    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen

    Thanks love melody, love baking but the cup went out of shape while baking.

    THanks DG, you got to try it. Very nice!

    kitchen flavours, we all did! My friend love it. I used to have one like a clinical thermometer but it broke by helper. This one (as above) was highly recommended by my friend but it was out of my budget.

    Passionate About Baking, she did.

    As for helper, I am waiting for hubby to be back coz he can speak bahasa to give her a warning and make the rules clearer.

    hanushi, bake them. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candy thermometers can be pretty expensive and true that it is not used so often to invest in real good ones. I got mine from States too, and yeah, better quality and not too ex. This double chocolate muffin does look chocolaty good! Forget about the shape, I don't think I'll care, eat first, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for your sharing. i like chocolate cake very much! :) good day for u!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Edith,

    Can you please share the brand and the shop of the cheaper thermometer?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those are some really chocolat-ey looking muffins! I am glad you will get ur thermometer soon, i will be looking forward to more macaron post like your son!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joceline, try it and let me know whether you share the same feeling.

    Alannia, it is from William and Sonama.

    crustabakes, yes going to bake more this holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin