Thursday, September 22, 2011

Wastage no more

For myself as a keen baker, I usually ended throwing ingredients that were half used. I seriously hated myself for that. I wish I can find like minded friends who lived nearby when such occasion happens.

Like this week, I opened a can of evaporated milk to make something and then the remaining will end up throwing it into the bin a few days later. Waste!

For my helper, her peeps will be the coconut milk. She will leave a few tablespoons in the pack and leave it in the fridge till I get angry and chunk it into the bin. Another wastage.

To set a good example of wastage no more, I decided to research on recipes so that I can finish up the remaining evaporated milk.

One way is to use it to make longan tofu dessert which I plan to do it later. That recipe only needed a few tablespoon, so I went on to find one that at least I can used up half a can or more.

Photobucket

A Chocolate Pudding! Absolutely delicious! It actually reminded me of those days that I was staying in Germany. Of course, back then, it was fresh milk that my friend used. I recall that I would have pudding every night if I request. Simply love it! Especially when it is made with vanilla sugar and a dash of cinnamon sugar. Yum.

I used my favourite Valrhona cocoa powder for this pudding and if you are a pudding lover like me and don’t like wastage, try this!

Photobucket

What you need:
Yield 2 servings

168g evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
3 tbsp sugar

1/8 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Method

Mix evaporated milk and water in a pot.

Mix cocoa powder with sugar and add into the milk mixture.

Bring to boil, stirring it to dissolve the sugar and cocoa powder.

Mix cornstarch with water to form a smooth paste. Once cocoa mixture boils, add in the corn paste and whisk till it incorporated.

Continue to stir mixture till it thickens. Do the finger test on the spoon to see whether pudding is ready.

Pour into serving bowl.

Serve chilled
Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

  1. That's a great and easy dessert idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cook curry with it, make iced coffee with it. Lots of ways to finish up that can of evap milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this recipe just comes in handy, I got a can of unfinished eveporated milk in my fridge.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe, you are right, it is really easy.

    Wendy, we don't drink coffee at home or at least I don't drink coffee and hubby usually had his fix in the office.

    Adding milk to curry tasted not as authentic as coconut milk. So we still prefer the latter one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually freeze leftovers. So far so good with just about everything - milk, nuts, fruit, eggs, leftover cake, pandan juice, flour, wine, tomato puree, garlic, ginger - no wastage and no worries about food going bad and spoiling everything else in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea! Any thoughts on what to do with leftover condensed milk?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have this problem...but I usually use up the evaporated milk to make egg tarts. Since your girl loves egg tarts, try baking some for her using evaporated milk. :) Will definitely try this pudding recipe, my kiddos loves chocolate + pudding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sooper doooper pudding...perfect version..
    first time here...love ur space..
    very interesting posts..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also guilty of using ingredients halfway. :(

    Anyway, Jane Chew has a good Cotton Cake recipe that uses evaporated milk - http://janechew.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_25.html

    Just to share with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. NEL, freeze my chinese herbs and many stuff and yet have to make space for ice creams. So my freezer space is really tight. Guess I need to get a big huge freezer next.

    Sharon, I never had problem with condense milk coz it can be kept longer. But I tried baking a condense milk cake it is not bad.

    Honey Bee Sweets, egg tarts don't really use alot of evaporated milk. It was just that few tbspoon and that is the reason why I had left over. hahahah

    Thanks Jay for dropping by. Hoping over now.


    hanushi, thanks for the link. Checking it now in a min.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like your pudding! yesterday, I cleared my fridge too, a big bag of stuff was clear from it to make space. This post make me feel so guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Condensed milk cake! Wow, I should look it up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This can be good for choux filling I guess...so yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, I am guilty of that too. I also wish I had someone staying near to share ingredients with me. LOL. I cannot get rid of this problem yet because I still have time constrain. So having left over plus no time to use them ... :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin