Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Ooopsy, what is wrong

Something went haywire with my photobucket. Initially I thought I have exceeded the memory restriction. Tried deleting some pictures and yet the problem still couldn't rectify. In fact, my photobucket kept hanging and that is driving me to frustration.

I realised that it is not only my August 2011 posts that got affected, a good 200+ pictures are gone and that spanned out into 5 months. How am I going to do it? I seriously don't have the time, energy and the patience.

Anyway, I am not going to act on this. I just hope that it is some technical problem over in Photobucket. So pardon me if you can't view the pictures, thank God that the recipes are not affected.

I had a packet of left over lotus seed paste that F gave me so this will be a good chance to practise my baked moon cake.

I chose E's joie Walnut Mooncake because I wanted to use those walnut that hubby brought back from Korea. It is smaller and paler than those that I usually buy. I think the usual ones that I used are from China.

Photobucket

Walnuts are also known as brain food. It is much healthier than peanuts and it is also one of my favourite nuts. If it could be easier, I would have turned them into Walnut Cream but the work involved is just too much right now.

The set back about this recipe is that you need to rest the dough overnight. So if you are those that like to work fast and yield result quickly, this recipe is definitely not the one.

After chilling the dough overnight, it needs to thaw a little for easy handling. The dough is a little sticky so I had work quickly.

My little one was of great help. She was waiting the dough while I do the wrapping. I am so happy that she is interested in baking so we managed to get everything quickly into the oven.

Now let us present to you our very first Baked “moon cake”. Actually my daughter was wondering why these are called moon cake because there wasn’t any imprint on it she commented.

Photobucket

Verdict: This yield a really nice texture, it actually reminds me of pineapple tart. LOLz. With the crunch and flavour from the walnut that blended really well with the lotus seed paste. Will try this pastry with pineapple jam next time.

Photobucket

The next round, I will be more generous and used the WHOLE nut but I guess I will either need a little more skill to ease the lotus seed paste round it or reduce the paste instead if not, I will end up with a gigantic big.

So are you ready for Mooncake Festival? It is on Monday and most likely I will do a last batch this Sunday so that my son gets to eat them.

What you need:

A)
50g icing sugar
50g shortening
220g salted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

B)
1 egg

C)
380g plain flour
26g custard powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Method :

Cream (A) together till slight white and well mixed.

Gradually add in egg and mix well.

Sift (C) together and add into mixture and form a dough. Do not knead.

Leave the dough in a plastic bag or cling wrap and leave in the fridge overnight or for a few days.

Weigh out the skin to 20g and 20g filling

Wrap lotus paste in the skin and decorate with Walnut

Apply egg wash and bake at 160ºC for 10 mins.

Bring out and leave to cool for 10 mins.

Apply egg wash again and bake for another 15 mins.
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. These mooncakes are yummy!

    christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith, Your mooncakes looks good! I have not baked any for years and ever since I lost my mould, lent it to someone (forgotten who) and have never got it back, I have not baked it since. I could always get another one, but am too lazy to make any. But I love seeing the different mooncakes that everyone is making!
    Am following you! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your idea of adding walnut, my hubby just asking to do some to bring over for his sisters, maybe i should add some walnut too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love mooncakes! what a delight! thanks so much for the recipe, edith. have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mini mooncakes or mini brainy mooncakes! must be tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy, the idea of walnut and lotus has never struck me before and I love the fact that it's small and bite size - can eat more hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great recipe! I love walnuts!!! :-)

    Sorry to hear you are having problems with your pictures... I have had so many technical problems with my blog last month to know how frustrating it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kitchen flavours, it happened to me too. Loaned out and never come back and being very absent minded, I can't even recall who they were. But I went ahead to buy more so that I can make them for my kids. :) Since I no longer need to buy shoes and bags, now my $$ goes to household toys. hehehe

    Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover), heheh not my idea I stole it. But do try it, it is nice.

    Junia, nice to see you here.

    tigerfishm, I love the name mini brainy mooncakes! and yes it is tasty too.

    Janine, I love things in small size, perhaps I am small size too.

    Manu, thanks for dropping by.

    and that tech prob is really a pain but being computer idiot I will live with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin