Saturday, September 17, 2011

no kneading?

I managed to borrow a book from the library that teaches us to make bread without any kneading.

Of course I am curious because I am never good at kneading. Besides following Richard Bertinet’s trusted bread recipes and his method of kneading. The rest of the recipes cannot be adapted that well. Thus I still need to attend or see a demo how bread is being kneaded properly. Anyone wants to show me?

With my girl at home because it is PSLE Oral, I have some spare energy to proceed on with a new recipe that required no kneading.

This method sounded so easy but is really time consuming and seriously need to plan way ahead.

I started doing the first proof which I can’t deny was really easy. Then I left it in the pot for it to ferment. At this stage still no problem.

The challenges came when the second stage kicks in. First I wasn’t sure whether putting the sticky wet batter on a tea cloth was really ideal. So I left it in a floured bowl to proof.

Let me tell you, it is a big huge mistake. I should really have followed the instruction.

I had problem getting it to double, so I left it to proof much longer than the required 1 – 2 hours. Okay, finally it doubled in volume.

Next, getting it into the heated pot was another challenge since now I had the dough inside the bowl and it got stuck to it.

Was trying so hard not to deflat the dough.

The bread turned out nicely isn't it?

Photobucket

The taste is not too bad, and the texture looks fairly okay?

Photobucket

but ...... I had hell getting it off the pot. It got STUCK!!!!! Since I didn't want to damage my pot by scraping it with a metal spatula, but a silicone one just couldn't do the job. In the end, this is the best I can savage.

haiz....

Photobucket

This is not the end.... the hardest will be cleaning this pot.

Will I try again, definitely yes! This time I won't act smart anymore. LOLz.

Enjoy your weekend!

Souce: My Bread (Jim Lahey)

What you need:

400g bread flour
8g salt
1g instant yeast
300g cool water (55-65 degree F)
additional flour for dusting

Method

In a pot with lid, stir together the flour, salt and yeast.

Add water and using a wooden spoon mix until you have a wet and sicky dough. Approx 30 sec.

Cover the pot and let it sit in room temperature until the surface is dotted with bubbles and the dough is more than doubled in size. (12 - 18 hours). - slow fermentation is the key to flavour.

Next, generously dust the work surface with flour, with a scraper, scrape the dough onto the work surface.

Using lightly floured hands, lift the edges of the dough in toward the center. Nudge and tuck in the edges of the dough to make it round.

Place a tea towel on the work surface and generously dust the cloth with cornmeal or flour or wheat bran.

Use your hand to gently lift the dough onto the towel. Seam side down.

If the dough is tacky, dust the top lightly with bran or flour.

Fold the ends of the towel loosely over the dough to cover it and place it in a warm spot to rise for 1 - 2 hours.

The dough is ready when it is almost doubled. Gently poke it with our finger, making an indentation. If should hold the impression. If not, let it rise for another 15 mins.

Half an hour before the end of the second proofing, preheat the oven to 240 ºC , at the lowest rack. Place a 5 quart heavy pot in the center of the rack.

Using pot holder, carefully remove the preheated pot from the oven and uncover it. Unfold the tea towel, lightly dust the dough with flour or bran, life up the dough, and quickly but gently invert into the pot, seam side up (BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT POT).

Cover and bake for 30 mins.

Remove the lid and continue to bake for another 15 - 30 mins until the crust is brown.

Using a spatula and carefully lift the bread of the the port and place it on rack to cool.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Never ever scrub your pot when something is burnt. Soak with water, only then dig out everything. If there's still burnt mark on the pot. use 2 cups of water + 3 tbsp of vinegar, let simmer for a couple of minutes. set aside to cool before cleaning it. Hope this will help! haha... No worries, you can always try again. Don't you ever give up. Just do it gal!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, we learn from our mistakes! At least you now know why the instructions was such! I have my share of "smart alec and lazy way" too, which does not always end with a happy result! Try again, wish you success! (I would leave the wet batter in a floured bowl to proof too, as I always do, why tea towel???) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi edith, did you grease your pan? Normally, after shaping the bread, it's advisable to let the 2nd proof takes place in the baking tray or the baking pan so that we dont have to move the unbaked bread anymore.Hoep you dont mind me sharing this. yeah, why proof on a tea cloth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kristy for your tips. Luckily after two days of soaking, we got every bits off. Phew.

    Kitchen flavour, i will definitely try again coz the taste of it is really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin