Monday, September 12, 2011

Making it up -

My son had been on a strict diet for the last one month as he was preparing for his Taekwondo competition.

From this experience, we can see how determine he was especially when we saw him resisting all his favourite food. I am actually quite surprised by his self control.

After two years break, because of the PSLE as well as adapting to Secondary school life, we are really pleased that he done us proud with a Gold Medal for this competition.

Photobucket

While I was shopping for my moon cake supplies, I finally remember to buy my coffee oil so I better put it to good use.

My hubby and son love chewy chocolate chip cookies whereas my girl favours the crunchy type.

Most of the time, I will go for the chewy ones as mommy, the baker doesn’t have strong teeth to take those crunch.

To make up, I also tried out a new recipe, Almost famous Amos cookie that was shared some time back by S in a forum and had been in my KIV file for a longest time.

Photobucket


What you need:

250g salted butter,softened
200g light brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp coffee oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup oats, processed to bits in a chopper
¼ cup ground almonds
½ cup of your favourite nuts,chopped finely (optional)
1 pack of Nestle Tollhouse semi-sweet chocolate chips OR chocolate chunks
300g self-raising flour

Method:

Infused the beaten egg with vanilla and coffee oil overnight in the fridge.  Bring to room temperature before baking.

Preheat oven to 160°C.

Beat soften butter, sugar and the salt to combine.  

Beat in the egg mixture and stir in the processed oats, ground almonds and chopped nuts and the chocolate chunks. 

Sift the flour and fold it in,this dough will not be too stiff but not too wet either.

For small cookies,place half-tsp of the dough,spaced slightly apart on the cookie sheet and bake for 9 to 10 minutes.

For large cookies, place rounded tbsp of the dough spaced apart on the cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 22 minutes.

Cool completely on rack and store it in an airtight container.  Flavour develop after a day or two.

I also made snow skin with durian lotus paste moon cakes as well as snow skin cranberries lotus paste moon cakes for him as a make up for he didn't touch any of those that I made the other weeks. He only watched at the side lines, while we ate. Cruel aren’t we?

Photobucket

Good job my boy!

A pity that the moon though is round wasn’t really bright as at this moment, there is a heavy haze blanketing Singapore. So no picture folks but I hope to capture this beauty next year.

Enough said, let me wish everyone 中秋节快乐.

Now I better focus on the forthcoming exam, thinking about it already make me stress.
Print Friendly and PDF

15 comments:

  1. Congrats to your son! And of course to you for doing such a good job with parenting :) Lovely moonies, esp the pretty pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mid-Autumn festival to you too. My kids now take lantern with his friends and walk around nearby our house, hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done to your son!! this is really something to be very proud of!! so now can he take these delicious looking cookies without any restrictions! I also cant see the moon tonight! anyway, wishing you a very happy celebration too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mid Autumn Festival Edith - nice mooncakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival Edith! :) And congrats to you and your boy for such a great job getting that medal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your son for getting the Gold Medal. Your moon cakes look so yummy and pretty. Congratulations to your son again. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. 祝你与家人中秋节幸福团圆。

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mid-autumn festival! The Almost famous Amos cookie looks very crunchy. Does it taste like FA cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks EL, I hope I am doing a good job.

    Sonia, we accompanied my girl too but there doesn't seem many kids around this area. Let's hope next year will be better.

    Thanks Wendy.

    Thanks lena, I am proud of him. Yes he is a free spirit now munching on his favourites.

    Thanks Alice, Honey Bee Sweets and Theresa

    Same to you Honey boy.

    Small Small Baker, it is crunchy but I think need to add more coffee oil to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done to your son, Edith! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see that you are a proud mum. Congrats to your son's victory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Edith, happy mid autumn festical to you & your family too! A big Congrat to your boy. I wish I am as good as him when I was a teenager. I stopped learning after I got my green belt due to some personal matter. Kudos!
    Blessings, KRisty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your son! He deserve some sweet treat after all the hard work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Ah Tze, Zoe and Kitchen Flavours.

    Hi Kristy, I hope you will rekindle and continue with green belt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin