Monday, September 05, 2011

Letting go a little ....

Just a few days ago, I came to know that a nephew of a friend went missing. Then today, I read with sadness a child from my son's school got punched and died.

Are the parents not giving enough love and concern that resulted in such situation? Or are we overly pampering our kids that they grew up not taking no for answer?

What is wrong with teens these days?

Over the weekend, my son was also getting out of hand. Not only was he defiance, he also held no respect for me. My hubby was home at that time and he finally witness it all. My hubby generally has got good temperament but you better don't push too hard. Once it is over the limit, his action can be quite extreme.

Son was sent out of the house empty handed. Hubby wanted him to learn that at this age you are still dependable on others for everything. Thus being full of himself and rude is a definitely big NO in our household. As he said, you don’t bite the hands that feed you.

Hubby was worried that if he doesn’t put son in place at his age, he can’t imagine what will happen to us as son gets older.

After many hours of self reflection without any comfort, son finally rang the door bell, asking for permission to come home. With our terms laid out clearly for him, I hope that he will not have such out burst again.

So let’s pray that this one week school holiday will be a blissful one.

E was really sweet to offer two free movie tickets. A perfect timing for my kids as this was planned before the school holidays – a movie treat on their own.

My son started going for movies with his friends when he was in P6 so my daughter was really excited when she knew that she is going for a movie with just her big brother.

Initially I was a little jittery but when they were home sound and safe, I felt so proud of them. Finally I can start to let go a little.

While they were gone, I went into my baking mode. Unfortunately, the dough needed to rest overnight. So I make a pint of Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream instead.

Photobucket

Now the pleasure begins…. this is what I call an intense fix of chocolate and peanut butter. It is soooooo good. Yah, I know my son is hating me now because he is still on his diet program. hahahah

Source: Scoop

What you need:

1¼ cup whipping cream
1 cup fresh milk, divided
106g smooth peanut butter
24g cocoa powder
54g castor sugar
72g light corn syrup
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp cornstarch
17g milk powder
¼ tsp vanilla
100g bitter sweet chocolate, chopped
½ cup Reese’s cup

Method

Combine cream, ½ cup milk and peanut butter and whisk till smooth.

Add in cocoa powder, sugar, corn syrup and salt.

Cook over med heat, stirring till the mixture begins to steam. DO NOT BOIL.

Combine the remaining milk, cornstarch, milk powder and vanilla and whisk till powder dissolved.

Add cornstarch mixture to cream mixture and bring to a boil over low heat. Stirring constantly till it is smooth. Simmer for 2 mins or till thickened.

Strain.

Ad in chopped chocolate to the custard and whisk till blended.

Transfer to container and chill.

Churn using ice cream machine.

Transfer soft ice cream to the container and stir in the chopped Reese’s Cup.

Freeze.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. sorry to hear abt your son's problems. THere's really a lot of influence from outside, i'm not referring to your son but many teenagers do get influenced by outside factors in one way or another. Hope everyone at home is well now. I;m sure your ice cream will make them feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you have to change the school for your kids, sometimes the school doesn't teach manner and discipline enough also bad influence from friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Lena, external influence takes up a huge part of a teen's life. That is why I am "guarding" him tightly. Yet need to give him space to grow. So that question of balancing is really impt.

    Anonymous, the school is okay and we are happy with it. It is my son's character and attitude that needs to change. Perhaps we spoilt him too much when he was young.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin