Friday, September 09, 2011

A failure or a success?

With the humid weather, my newly brought bananas were getting ripe too quickly that it was dropping off from the stem.

I had no choice but to bake a cake using bananas. I didn't want to bake our favourite banana cakes. I wanted to try something new.

Since I needed to use up quite a fair bit of bananas at one go, I was looking at one recipe that got me interested. It didn't say 2 or 3 banana, it needed 350g of bananas! And with the reviews, it was supposedly to be good.

I was already running late as I was just back from my girl's tuition. I was tired so I needed to get the cake done quickly before dinner time. Thus, without really reading through the recipe thoroughly, I went into action.

With much regrets, it was blunder after blunder. First the gula melaka didn't chop finely enough for it to cream nicely with the butter.

With two egg whites, it seems way too little to blend with the thick egg batter.

I almost forgotten about the mashed bananas which I think it was way too much.

Took me quite a while to get it baked and it didn't really rise nicely as I wanted it to be. (oops as I was typing out the recipe, I saw the author changed it to 3/4 instead of 1/4). This could be the reason why my cake didn't rise nicely.

Not looking at its presentation, this Banana Chocolate Cake tasted not too bad. A cross between kueh lapis and fruit cake minus the alcohol of course.

Will I bake this again.... I really don't know.

But I will leave you with the recipe if you are feeling adventurous and wanted to try something new ..... go ahead. Hope you will share your experience with me for it might be me that didn’t make this cake pretty.

Photobucket

Source: Bisous a toi

What you need:

200g unsalted butter
200g palm sugar, chopped FINELY
6 egg yolks
2 egg whites - whisk till stiff peak
200g plain flour
2 tbsp full cream milk powder
1/4 tsp salt
100g dark cooking chocolate - chopped
350g (3 medium-size banana)- mashed
1/4 tbsp double acting baking powder (oops I think I added only 1/4 should be 3/4 tsp)
3 or 4 drops of banana essence
raisins, almonds, cherries or cheese for topping

Method

Preheat oven 175C.. grease pan (two 30x10cm brownie pan)

Cream butter and palm sugar till light and pale in colour

Add in egg yolk one at a time and continue to beat till well incorporated.

Fold in sifted flour, milk powder and double acting powder

Gently fold in stiff egg white and continue to mix till well combined

Add mashed banana and chopped chocolate - stir well

Lastly add banana essence..

Pour batter into baking pan and sprinkle with currants or cherries or almonds or just cheese according to taste

Bake for 35 minutes or till done.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a baker so I can't tell, but from the picture, this looks delicious though. It's my first time here and I really enjoyed what I've read so far and had fun browsing. It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks yummy and pretty with the cherry to me. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually not so adventurous to try out new recipes unless it has too many good reviews. Else will always stick to my good old recipes as I don't like failures :P

    Anyway the cake looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nami, hope you have fun here. Nice meeting you too.

    Theresa, actually besides the dense texture, the cake tasted good.

    BH, I do enjoy trying out recipes. Most of the time, my success rate is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin